* too easy to quit emacs without proper saving of gnus files
@ 2011-03-04  9:54 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-03-04  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

From a *Summary* buffer, type C-x C-c.
The next time you start emacs you will see
Gnus auto-save file exists.  Do you want to read it? (y or n)

Therefore emacs should ask about quitting gnus first etc.

I didn't test from other buffers, etc.

* Re: too easy to quit emacs without proper saving of gnus files
@ 2011-03-04 11:11 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-03-04 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> From a *Summary* buffer, type C-x C-c.
> The next time you start emacs you will see
> Gnus auto-save file exists.  Do you want to read it? (y or n)

> Therefore emacs should ask about quitting gnus first etc.

Behaviour confirmed.  `C-x C-c' in a summary buffer quits gnus without
further ado.

> I didn't test from other buffers, etc.

I tested from the *Group* buffer as well, and it does the same thing.

I'm almost sure I used to be asked when doing `C-x C-c' from the *Group*
buffer in earlier gnusen.  So I think this is a definite bug.

* Re: too easy to quit emacs without proper saving of gnus files
@ 2011-03-04 11:26   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-03-04 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

Hi!

>> Therefore emacs should ask about quitting gnus first etc.
>
> Behaviour confirmed.  `C-x C-c' in a summary buffer quits gnus without
> further ado.

Jep, confirmed.

>> I didn't test from other buffers, etc.
>
> I tested from the *Group* buffer as well, and it does the same thing.

I tested from non-Gnus buffers, and it also quits without confirmation.

> I'm almost sure I used to be asked when doing `C-x C-c' from the
> *Group* buffer in earlier gnusen.  So I think this is a definite bug.

Yes, I also think I was queried when quitting emacs from whatever the
current buffer was.  But OTOH, it doesn't make a big difference if you
are queried to load autosave files on startup or if you are queried to
really quit as long as nothing's lost.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: too easy to quit emacs without proper saving of gnus files
@ 2011-03-04 12:43   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-03-04 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> From a *Summary* buffer, type C-x C-c.  The next time you start emacs
>> you will see Gnus auto-save file exists.  Do you want to read it? (y
>> or n)
>
>> Therefore emacs should ask about quitting gnus first etc.
>
> Behaviour confirmed.  `C-x C-c' in a summary buffer quits gnus without
> further ado.
>
>> I didn't test from other buffers, etc.
>
> I tested from the *Group* buffer as well, and it does the same thing.
>
> I'm almost sure I used to be asked when doing `C-x C-c' from the
> *Group* buffer in earlier gnusen.  So I think this is a definite bug.

To add to this, even *if* I hit s for save in the gnus buffer if I then
q to quit gnus and then C-x C-q which I have bound to

,----
| C-x C-q runs the command save-buffers-kill-emacs, which is an
| interactive compiled Lisp function in `files.el'.
`----

(I have emacs daemon)

then next time I start emacs/gnus most of the nntp groups are not at their
proper count and many articles I read are not marked as read. Strange
behaviour but hard to pinpoint.

* Re: too easy to quit emacs without proper saving of gnus files
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-05 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Yes, I also think I was queried when quitting emacs from whatever the
> current buffer was.  But OTOH, it doesn't make a big difference if you
> are queried to load autosave files on startup or if you are queried to
> really quit as long as nothing's lost.

You're seeing the result of this change:

	* gnus-start.el (gnus-dribble-read-file): Set
	buffer-save-without-query, since we always want to save the dribble
	file, probably.

The rationale for the change was that it was pointed out that if you're
using Gnus in an Emacs where you're also doing development, `M-x
compile' (and friends) will constantly query you for whether to save the
dribble file.

Which is annoying.

The side effect is that Emacs no longer queries you on Emacs shutdown,
either, but...

I think the new behaviour is probably better than the old one, but I'm
not sure.  Opinions?

* Re: too easy to quit emacs without proper saving of gnus files
@ 2011-03-05 10:25       ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-03-05 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> Yes, I also think I was queried when quitting emacs from whatever the
>> current buffer was.  But OTOH, it doesn't make a big difference if you
>> are queried to load autosave files on startup or if you are queried to
>> really quit as long as nothing's lost.
>
> You're seeing the result of this change:
>
> 	* gnus-start.el (gnus-dribble-read-file): Set
> 	buffer-save-without-query, since we always want to save the dribble
> 	file, probably.
>
> The rationale for the change was that it was pointed out that if you're
> using Gnus in an Emacs where you're also doing development, `M-x
> compile' (and friends) will constantly query you for whether to save the
> dribble file.
>
> Which is annoying.
>
> The side effect is that Emacs no longer queries you on Emacs shutdown,
> either, but...
>
> I think the new behaviour is probably better than the old one, but I'm
> not sure.  Opinions?

My suggestion would be to add a function to the kill-emacs-hook which
checks if Gnus is still running. This should be customizable, of course.

Another thing is that whenever you run 'compile', 'magit-status' etc.,
Emacs will issue "(Some special files were saved without asking)", but
doesn't say *which* files. AFAIK jidanni has already written a bug
report for that.

-David

* Re: too easy to quit emacs without proper saving of gnus files
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-05 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> My suggestion would be to add a function to the kill-emacs-hook which
> checks if Gnus is still running. This should be customizable, of course.

I'm slightly wary of adding stuff to `kill-emacs-hook', since if you do
something wrong there, then you can't ever kill Emacs...

* Re: too easy to quit emacs without proper saving of gnus files
@ 2011-03-05 11:00           ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-03-05 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>
>> My suggestion would be to add a function to the kill-emacs-hook which
>> checks if Gnus is still running. This should be customizable, of course.
>
> I'm slightly wary of adding stuff to `kill-emacs-hook', since if you do
> something wrong there, then you can't ever kill Emacs...

Oh yes, I know exactly what you mean. Currently, my kill-emacs-hook has
12 functions in it from all kinds of packages...

I also wonder if you can cleanly return from the
kill-emacs-hook. Probably not. So please forget what I said.

-David

* Re: too easy to quit emacs without proper saving of gnus files
@ 2011-03-05 11:07       ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-03-05 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, Mar 05 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> I think the new behaviour is probably better than the old one, but I'm
> not sure.  Opinions?

I prefer the new behaviour. :)

--
Julien Danjou
❱ http://julien.danjou.info

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: too easy to quit emacs without proper saving of gnus files
@ 2011-03-05 20:03         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-03-05 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Sat, Mar 05 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> I think the new behaviour is probably better than the old one, but I'm
>> not sure.  Opinions?

> I prefer the new behaviour. :)

Well I have this set anyway
 (setq confirm-kill-emacs 'yes-or-no-p)
to prevent accidental `C-x C-c' from quitting emacs.