* Something is confusing Gnus followup
@ 2002-10-30  7:41 Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-10-30  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the last messages sent by Simon to the ding mailing list,
there is something that seems to confuse gnus. When hitting
`F' to follow-up, the message gets sent to the person Simon
is quoting with a Cc to the ding mailing list.

Some of the messages where this happens are:
<ilu7kg7hn4x.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>,
<ilu3cqsdqm7.fsf@latte.josefsson.org> and
<iluadl3hnc2.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>

Any ideas what might be going on here? Am I the only one
seeing the problem?

Niklas

* Re: Something is confusing Gnus followup
@ 2002-10-30 10:39 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-30 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> In the last messages sent by Simon to the ding mailing list,
> there is something that seems to confuse gnus. When hitting
> `F' to follow-up, the message gets sent to the person Simon
> is quoting with a Cc to the ding mailing list.

Maybe Mail-Followup-To says so?

kai

* Re: Something is confusing Gnus followup
@ 2002-10-30 12:05   ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-10-30 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:
>
>> In the last messages sent by Simon to the ding mailing list,
>> there is something that seems to confuse gnus. When hitting
>> `F' to follow-up, the message gets sent to the person Simon
>> is quoting with a Cc to the ding mailing list.
>
> Maybe Mail-Followup-To says so?

No, there is no Mail-Followup-To in those mails... There's a
Mail-Copies-To that says nobody, could that cause the
problem?

I do think it _is_ a problem that the reply does not go to
the author, but rather the quoted author -- maybe others do
not agree about this being a problem.

@ 2002-10-30 14:10     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-10-30 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 30 2002, Niklas Morberg wrote:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
[...]
>> Maybe Mail-Followup-To says so?
>
> No, there is no Mail-Followup-To in those mails... There's a
> Mail-Copies-To that says nobody, could that cause the
> problem?

Isn't Mail-Copies-To only relevant for news? (see below ...)

One of the articles you mentioned had the headers:

| From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
| To: Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr>
| Cc: ding@gnus.org

Your article does have this too:

| From: Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com>
| To: kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann)
| Cc: ding@gnus.org

`F' gives:

| To: Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com>
| Cc: kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann),  ding@gnus.org

If you read ding as a newsgroup (e.g. from news.gnus.org or Gmane) the
"To" header will be renamed to "Original-To" by the posting script.

> I do think it _is_ a problem that the reply does not go to
> the author, but rather the quoted author -- maybe others do
> not agree about this being a problem.

I copied your article to a mail group and added a "Mail-Copies-To:
nobody" header. Then I get...

| To: kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann)
| Cc: ding@gnus.org

So the different behavior is caused by the MCT header. I don't know if
this is correct or not. It may even depend on whether your message is
mail [1] or news [2].

Bye, Reiner.

[1] <URL:http://www.karlsruhe.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt>
    "Mail-Copies-To" isn't mentioned there.

[2] <URL:http://www.karlsruhe.org/rfc/draft-ietf-usefor-article-08.txt>
    "Section 6.8.  Mail-Copies-To"
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Something is confusing Gnus followup
@ 2002-10-30 14:39     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-30 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

> No, there is no Mail-Followup-To in those mails... There's a
> Mail-Copies-To that says nobody, could that cause the
> problem?

Yes, MCT nobody says don't send a message to who is in From.
Usually, this is because they are subscribed to the newsgroup/mailing
list already.  Then Cc'ing them means they get two copies.  I think
it's reasonable of them to ask for only one copy.

kai

* Re: Something is confusing Gnus followup
@ 2002-10-31 10:11       ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-10-31 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

kai.grossjohann@t-online.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Yes, MCT nobody says don't send a message to who is in From.
> Usually, this is because they are subscribed to the newsgroup/mailing
> list already.  Then Cc'ing them means they get two copies.  I think
> it's reasonable of them to ask for only one copy.

Yes it is, but what seems unnatural is that the To address
is the person writing the previous mail and the Cc address
is the mailing list.

Would gnus be too smart for its own good if it put the value
of to-list (if it exists) in the To field in these cases?

Maybe it's not a real problem, I just thought it was weird
that a reply to Simon got sent to you (and only you) with a
copy to the mailing list...

@ 2002-11-04 22:04         ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-11-04 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg=VrBV9hrLPhE@public.gmane.org>:

> Would gnus be too smart for its own good if it put the value
> of to-list (if it exists) in the To field in these cases?

not doing so also irritates me at times.

clemens