* mm-qp-or-base64
@ 2001-09-26 16:51 Michael.Cook
From: Michael.Cook @ 2001-09-26 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

pdf files often seem to look like plain text files because they tend
to contain a lot of "text" characters, especially at the beginning
of the file.  but pdf files also usually contain a lot of "binary"
characters.  in other words, mm-qp-or-base64 tends to return
'quoted-printable for pdf files, but it should probably return
'base64.  should we make mm-qp-or-base64 smarter?  maybe use
something like

 (goto-char (point-min))
 (if (looking-at "%PDF-")
    'base64
   ...)

suitably generalized, of course.  maybe with:

 (defvar mm-content-transfer-encoding-smart-defaults
   '(("\\`%PDF-" base64))
   "Alist of regexps to match against the beginning of a buffer
to determine which encoding to use.  If none of these regexps
matches, then a heuristic is applied to choose between
quoted-printable and base64.")

or maybe this idea could be folded into
mm-content-transfer-encoding-defaults somehow.

m.

* Re: mm-qp-or-base64
@ 2001-09-26 20:02 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-26 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Michael.Cook@cisco.com writes:

> pdf files often seem to look like plain text files because they tend
> to contain a lot of "text" characters, especially at the beginning
> of the file.  but pdf files also usually contain a lot of "binary"
> characters.  in other words, mm-qp-or-base64 tends to return
> 'quoted-printable for pdf files, but it should probably return
> 'base64.

It has been changed in Oort Gnus:
mm-content-transfer-encoding-defaults returns base64 for most
non-text/* content types.

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [OK]  [Cancel]