* Spam.el, ham-marks
@ 2007-02-25 10:20 Jan Hoffmann
From: Jan Hoffmann @ 2007-02-25 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi!

I'm very used to to tick important incoming articles with the
ticked-mark to remember to answer them.

Now I have started to use spam.el and I like to tread the ticked-mark
as a ham-mark (just as the read-mark).

But when I put (ham-marks (gnus-ticked-mark)) into the
group-parameters of a Group the following problem occurs:

Every time I quit the group, all *old* ticked articles are registered
at bogofilter again (but they should only the first time!).

I have (setq spam-log-to-registry t) set in my .gnus file and the
problem occurs only for the ticked-mark, i.e. if I set for example
(ham-marks (gnus-read-mark)) everything works fine.

Is that a bug?

Thanks for the help,

Jan

* Re: Spam.el, ham-marks
@ 2007-02-28 19:55 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-02-28 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Hoffmann; +Cc: ding

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 02:20:31 -0800 Jan Hoffmann <"hoffmann atcipifilmude"@ifi.lmu.de> wrote:

JH> I'm very used to to tick important incoming articles with the
JH> ticked-mark to remember to answer them.

JH> Now I have started to use spam.el and I like to tread the ticked-mark
JH> as a ham-mark (just as the read-mark).

JH> But when I put (ham-marks (gnus-ticked-mark)) into the
JH> group-parameters of a Group the following problem occurs:

JH> Every time I quit the group, all *old* ticked articles are registered
JH> at bogofilter again (but they should only the first time!).

JH> I have (setq spam-log-to-registry t) set in my .gnus file and the
JH> problem occurs only for the ticked-mark, i.e. if I set for example
JH> (ham-marks (gnus-read-mark)) everything works fine.

JH> Is that a bug?

Hi Jan,

this may be obvious, but did you also load and enable the
gnus-registry?

What version of Gnus do you use?

I'll debug this with you.  You're right, the expected behavior is that
old articles should not be registered twice.

Ted

p.s. the e-mail address "hoffmann *"@ifi.lmu.edu wasn't parsed right
by Message-mode, I think.  I got an error from SMTP but the address
was already split on space.

* Re: Spam.el, ham-marks
@ 2007-02-28 20:14   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-02-28 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Jan Hoffmann

Hmm, does anyone know how to contact Jan?  I think the address on this
one should work (decoding the "atcipifilmude" portion), but Googling
Jan was not too helpful.  hoffmann@ifi.lmu.de definitely does not
work.

Ted

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:55:38 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 02:20:31 -0800 Jan Hoffmann <"hoffmann atcipifilmude"@ifi.lmu.de> wrote:
JH> I'm very used to to tick important incoming articles with the
JH> ticked-mark to remember to answer them.

JH> Now I have started to use spam.el and I like to tread the ticked-mark
JH> as a ham-mark (just as the read-mark).

JH> But when I put (ham-marks (gnus-ticked-mark)) into the
JH> group-parameters of a Group the following problem occurs:

JH> Every time I quit the group, all *old* ticked articles are registered
JH> at bogofilter again (but they should only the first time!).

JH> I have (setq spam-log-to-registry t) set in my .gnus file and the
JH> problem occurs only for the ticked-mark, i.e. if I set for example
JH> (ham-marks (gnus-read-mark)) everything works fine.

JH> Is that a bug?

TZ> Hi Jan,

TZ> this may be obvious, but did you also load and enable the
TZ> gnus-registry?

TZ> What version of Gnus do you use?

TZ> I'll debug this with you.  You're right, the expected behavior is that
TZ> old articles should not be registered twice.

TZ> Ted

TZ> p.s. the e-mail address "hoffmann *"@ifi.lmu.edu wasn't parsed right
TZ> by Message-mode, I think.  I got an error from SMTP but the address
TZ> was already split on space.

* Re: Spam.el, ham-marks
@ 2007-02-28 23:45     ` Jan Hoffmann
From: Jan Hoffmann @ 2007-02-28 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Ted Zlatanov

Hi Ted!

> TZ> this may be obvious, but did you also load and enable the
> TZ> gnus-registry?

Oh yeah, sure!  I use the registry independently from spam.el and it
works well.

> TZ> What version of Gnus do you use?

I use Gnus v5.11 on GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin8) of
2006-07-08.  Do you think it is a good Idea to start using a version
of the head branch?  If seen that there are many improvements in the
spam.el already.  But apart of that I'm happy with the stable branch.
Maybe I can just install a nwe version of spam.el from the head?  Are
there any revisions of the head that are known to be very stable?

> TZ> I'll debug this with you.  You're right, the expected behavior is that
> TZ> old articles should not be registered twice.

Thank you.

> TZ> p.s. the e-mail address "hoffmann *"@ifi.lmu.edu wasn't parsed right
> TZ> by Message-mode, I think.  I got an error from SMTP but the address
> TZ> was already split on space.

I hope the address comes out right this time!  It is

hoffmann <at> cip . ifi . lmu . de

By the way: It would be nice to have a feature to split the mails
depending on their spam score, i.e. to split mails with a score over
0.95 to the spam.likely group,  those between 0.75 and 0.95 to
spam.maybe, ...

Another thing that would be cool would be to have a customization of
gnus-spam-process-newsgroups in terms of the spam score.  I would like
to set for example (ham spam-use-bogofilter "0.4" "2") in ham groups.
That shall mean to learn only from messages that have a high spam
score (let's say over 0.4) to improve the wordlist.db.  The "2" shall
mean to learn it 2 times.  I've read that could be helpful and some
people like it.

Jan

* Re: Spam.el, ham-marks
@ 2007-03-02 19:17       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-03-02 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Hoffmann; +Cc: ding

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:45:42 -0800 Jan Hoffmann <hoffmann@cip.ifi.lmu.de> wrote:

TZ> this may be obvious, but did you also load and enable the
TZ> gnus-registry?

JH> Oh yeah, sure!  I use the registry independently from spam.el and it
JH> works well.

TZ> What version of Gnus do you use?

JH> I use Gnus v5.11 on GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin8) of
JH> 2006-07-08.  Do you think it is a good Idea to start using a version
JH> of the head branch?  If seen that there are many improvements in the
JH> spam.el already.  But apart of that I'm happy with the stable branch.
JH> Maybe I can just install a nwe version of spam.el from the head?  Are
JH> there any revisions of the head that are known to be very stable?

TZ> I'll debug this with you.  You're right, the expected behavior is that
TZ> old articles should not be registered twice.

JH> Thank you.

OK, turn up gnus-verbose to 10 and send me the messages you see when
you exit the group buffer.  If possible, send me your registry file (I
know it may be large) and your Gnus setup.

JH> By the way: It would be nice to have a feature to split the mails
JH> depending on their spam score, i.e. to split mails with a score over
JH> 0.95 to the spam.likely group,  those between 0.75 and 0.95 to
JH> spam.maybe, ...

That's possible.  We already have a function to get the spam score.

JH> Another thing that would be cool would be to have a customization of
JH> gnus-spam-process-newsgroups in terms of the spam score.  I would like
JH> to set for example (ham spam-use-bogofilter "0.4" "2") in ham groups.
JH> That shall mean to learn only from messages that have a high spam
JH> score (let's say over 0.4) to improve the wordlist.db.  The "2" shall
JH> mean to learn it 2 times.  I've read that could be helpful and some
JH> people like it.

Also possible.  Great ideas.  It will be difficult to implement them
with the current customization interface, though.

Ted