From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Expiring spam groups
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 10:46:41 -0500	[thread overview]

On 23 Dec 2006, mlist@rogers.com wrote:

> I still do not understand why the expiry mark "E" disappears from the
> articles in my spam group.
>
> I set up my spam group so:
>
> (add-to-list 'spam-junk-mailgroups "nnimap+localhost:spam")
>
> When I get mail, procmail splits it and puts the spam in a "spam" mbox
> file which is one of my IMAP folders. (I use the crm114 spam filter and
> the dovecot IMAP server)
>
> Now when I go into the spam group in Gnus (that is the "spam" IMAP
> folder), all new spam is marked as spam ("$"). When I exit the group and
> then open it again after a short time, I see that the same articles
> which were marked as spam are now marked as expired ("E"). But when some
> more time passes, and I open the spam group a few more times, I see that
> the "E" mark has disappeared from the older spam articles - so my spam
> group keeps growing.
>
> The Gnus documentation says that expired articles are deleted after some
> time - but in my spam group expired articles become "unexpired" again,
> and so far I haven't found out why this happens.

What do you want to happen to the spam-marked articles?

1) delete
3) process with a spam processor
4) move to another group
5) a combination of 1 through 4

If you explain what you expect, it's easier to help you.

Your expired articles are not being deleted.  You need to look at the
group expiry parameters and set them the way you want.  Right now, it
seems that only (2) in the list above is happening.

Ted