* Expiring spam groups
@ 2006-12-07 20:53 vedm
From: vedm @ 2006-12-07 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I have a problem with spam group expiration. My mail is split by
procmail and all spam goes into a "spam" group. I have this group in the
spam-junk-mailgroups.

When I go into the "spam" group I see that the newly arrived spam
messages are marked as spam (the '$' mark). When I exit the group and
then enter it again I see that those same messages are marked as expired
(E), so I expect that they would disappear in several days - but instead
the messages that were marked as "E" after some time are shown with the
mark "O", and they never disappear..

What am I doing wrong? (I do not have any group or topic parameters).

--
vedm

* Re: Expiring spam groups
@ 2006-12-14 19:18 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-12-14 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On  7 Dec 2006, mlist@rogers.com wrote:

> I have a problem with spam group expiration. My mail is split by
> procmail and all spam goes into a "spam" group. I have this group in the
> spam-junk-mailgroups.
>
> When I go into the "spam" group I see that the newly arrived spam
> messages are marked as spam (the '$' mark). When I exit the group and
> then enter it again I see that those same messages are marked as expired
> (E), so I expect that they would disappear in several days - but instead
> the messages that were marked as "E" after some time are shown with the
> mark "O", and they never disappear..
>
> What am I doing wrong? (I do not have any group or topic parameters).

Hi,

spam.el will just mark the articles as expired when you exit the
group.  So the rest of the work is done by Gnus, which has built-in
intelligence regarding article expiry.  You need to look in the manual
for that info, it's not too complicated.

Another possibility is that right now, the spam/ham-process-destination
can be one of these:

- nil ("leave spam in the group, expired")
- 'respool ("send back to the split method"--this is for ham)
- one or more groups (copy to N-1 groups, move to the last one)

I could add a 'delete option, which would just delete whatever
articles match, if 'respool or group names are not specified.  So you
wouldn't use it for ham-process-destination probably, but it could
make sense for spam-process-destination.  Let me know if you need
that, rather than using the normal Gnus expiry process.

Ted

p.s. I use the word "expiry" because Gnus uses it a lot.  I don't know
if "expiration" is more appropriate, but just keep it in mind if you
do an M-x apropos :)

* Re: Expiring spam groups
@ 2006-12-23 16:00   ` vedm
From: vedm @ 2006-12-23 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: tzz

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On  7 Dec 2006, mlist@rogers.com wrote:
>
>> I have a problem with spam group expiration. My mail is split by
>> procmail and all spam goes into a "spam" group. I have this group in the
>> spam-junk-mailgroups.
>>
>> When I go into the "spam" group I see that the newly arrived spam
>> messages are marked as spam (the '$' mark). When I exit the group and
>> then enter it again I see that those same messages are marked as expired
>> (E), so I expect that they would disappear in several days - but instead
>> the messages that were marked as "E" after some time are shown with the
>> mark "O", and they never disappear..
>>
>> What am I doing wrong? (I do not have any group or topic parameters).
>
> Hi,
>
> spam.el will just mark the articles as expired when you exit the
> group.  So the rest of the work is done by Gnus, which has built-in
> intelligence regarding article expiry.  You need to look in the manual
> for that info, it's not too complicated.
>
> Another possibility is that right now, the spam/ham-process-destination
> can be one of these:
>
> - nil ("leave spam in the group, expired")
> - 'respool ("send back to the split method"--this is for ham)
> - one or more groups (copy to N-1 groups, move to the last one)
>
> I could add a 'delete option, which would just delete whatever
> articles match, if 'respool or group names are not specified.  So you
> wouldn't use it for ham-process-destination probably, but it could
> make sense for spam-process-destination.  Let me know if you need
> that, rather than using the normal Gnus expiry process.
>
> Ted
>
> p.s. I use the word "expiry" because Gnus uses it a lot.  I don't know
> if "expiration" is more appropriate, but just keep it in mind if you
> do an M-x apropos :)

I still do not understand why the expiry mark "E" disappears from the
articles in my spam group.

I set up my spam group so:

(add-to-list 'spam-junk-mailgroups "nnimap+localhost:spam")

When I get mail, procmail splits it and puts the spam in a "spam" mbox
file which is one of my IMAP folders. (I use the crm114 spam filter and
the dovecot IMAP server)

Now when I go into the spam group in Gnus (that is the "spam" IMAP
folder), all new spam is marked as spam ("$"). When I exit the group and
then open it again after a short time, I see that the same articles
which were marked as spam are now marked as expired ("E"). But when some
more time passes, and I open the spam group a few more times, I see that
the "E" mark has disappeared from the older spam articles - so my spam
group keeps growing.

The Gnus documentation says that expired articles are deleted after some
time - but in my spam group expired articles become "unexpired" again,
and so far I haven't found out why this happens.

--
vedm

* Re: Expiring spam groups
@ 2006-12-27 15:46     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-12-27 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 23 Dec 2006, mlist@rogers.com wrote:

> I still do not understand why the expiry mark "E" disappears from the
> articles in my spam group.
>
> I set up my spam group so:
>
> (add-to-list 'spam-junk-mailgroups "nnimap+localhost:spam")
>
> When I get mail, procmail splits it and puts the spam in a "spam" mbox
> file which is one of my IMAP folders. (I use the crm114 spam filter and
> the dovecot IMAP server)
>
> Now when I go into the spam group in Gnus (that is the "spam" IMAP
> folder), all new spam is marked as spam ("$"). When I exit the group and
> then open it again after a short time, I see that the same articles
> which were marked as spam are now marked as expired ("E"). But when some
> more time passes, and I open the spam group a few more times, I see that
> the "E" mark has disappeared from the older spam articles - so my spam
> group keeps growing.
>
> The Gnus documentation says that expired articles are deleted after some
> time - but in my spam group expired articles become "unexpired" again,
> and so far I haven't found out why this happens.

What do you want to happen to the spam-marked articles?

1) delete
3) process with a spam processor
4) move to another group
5) a combination of 1 through 4

If you explain what you expect, it's easier to help you.

Your expired articles are not being deleted.  You need to look at the
group expiry parameters and set them the way you want.  Right now, it
seems that only (2) in the list above is happening.

Ted

* Re: Expiring spam groups
@ 2006-12-27 16:40       ` Dimitre Liotev
From: Dimitre Liotev @ 2006-12-27 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On 23 Dec 2006, mlist@rogers.com wrote:
>
>> I still do not understand why the expiry mark "E" disappears from the
>> articles in my spam group.
>>
>> I set up my spam group so:
>>
>> (add-to-list 'spam-junk-mailgroups "nnimap+localhost:spam")
>>
>> When I get mail, procmail splits it and puts the spam in a "spam" mbox
>> file which is one of my IMAP folders. (I use the crm114 spam filter and
>> the dovecot IMAP server)
>>
>> Now when I go into the spam group in Gnus (that is the "spam" IMAP
>> folder), all new spam is marked as spam ("$"). When I exit the group and
>> then open it again after a short time, I see that the same articles
>> which were marked as spam are now marked as expired ("E"). But when some
>> more time passes, and I open the spam group a few more times, I see that
>> the "E" mark has disappeared from the older spam articles - so my spam
>> group keeps growing.
>>
>> The Gnus documentation says that expired articles are deleted after some
>> time - but in my spam group expired articles become "unexpired" again,
>> and so far I haven't found out why this happens.
>
> What do you want to happen to the spam-marked articles?
>
> 1) delete
> 3) process with a spam processor
> 4) move to another group
> 5) a combination of 1 through 4
>
> If you explain what you expect, it's easier to help you.
>
> Your expired articles are not being deleted.  You need to look at the
> group expiry parameters and set them the way you want.  Right now, it
> seems that only (2) in the list above is happening.
>
> Ted

Hi Ted,

I want the expired articles to disappear in one week. I thought that
this is the default behavior and that I do not have to add the
"auto-expire" or "total-expire" parameters to the group.

Here is the relevant Info documentation:

(info "(Gnus)Expiring Mail")

====
"   To make Gnus get rid of your unwanted mail, you have to mark the
articles as "expireable".  (With the default key bindings, this means
that you have to type `E'.)  This does not mean that the articles will
disappear right away, however.  In general, a mail article will be
deleted from your system if, 1) it is marked as expireable, AND 2) it is
more than one week old."
====

So according to this documentation if an article is marked as expireable
it should be deleted in one week or so, even if you do not set any group
parameters.

Otherwise I have set the auto-expire parameter on some of my other mail
groups and it works - but I expected that expired articles should be
deleted without this.

Anyway thanks for the help - I will simply set the "auto-expire"
parameter on my "spam" group and it should work.

regards,
--
Dimitre Liotev

* Re: Expiring spam groups
@ 2006-12-27 19:25         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-12-27 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 27 Dec 2006, mlist@rogers.com wrote:

> I want the expired articles to disappear in one week. I thought that
> this is the default behavior and that I do not have to add the
> "auto-expire" or "total-expire" parameters to the group.
> So according to this documentation if an article is marked as expireable
> it should be deleted in one week or so, even if you do not set any group
> parameters.
>
> Otherwise I have set the auto-expire parameter on some of my other mail
> groups and it works - but I expected that expired articles should be
> deleted without this.

Yeah, sorry about that.  I don't work with that part of Gnus, and I
always expire manually.

> Anyway thanks for the help - I will simply set the "auto-expire"
> parameter on my "spam" group and it should work.

Great, let us know if you have other problems.

Ted