From: Raymond Scholz <ray-2003@zonix.de>
Subject: Re: Registry is working (first cut)
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 16:01:11 +0200	[thread overview]

* Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

> Yes, I would like to use the long names, but I haven't found a
> reliable way to capture that.  If anyone can help me obtain the
> correct long name for a group, I'm all ears.  I kept getting the wrong
> backend on things like drafts, article moves/copies, spooling, etc.

Sorry, I've no idea.  There's `gnus-newsgroup-name' and a function
`gnus-real-group-name'.  The goal is to get a "fully" qualified group
name, right?  `gnus-newsgroup-name' looks like that to me.

> I see the problem, it's nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent-ignore-groups,
> which can be a single regexp.  I only treated it as a list.  Should be
> OK now, I put a change in CVS.

Wow, this works.  God Ol' Fancy Splitting with Parent is back. Thanks
a lot!

More questions/ideas:

What will happen, if gnus-registry instructs the splitting function to
write to a non-writeable group like NNTP?  I just tried and the
message went into my INBOX.  This is OK but I didn't find any code in
gnus-registry.el doing this :-)

There will be an expiry process for the registry, right?

AFAICS, there's no way to limit the registry collecting message IDs
from certain groups.  This would help to reduce the size of the
registry.

Some "Gnus synchronisation" should be possible if the fully qualified
groupnames are stored in the registry.  If the registry could store
article marks (read, ticked etc.) one could carry the registry from
one place to another and get his Gnusae in sync.  Without the need of
common servers because syncing is done on base of message IDs.

Cheers, Ray
--
I have a local archive newsserver with groups with more than 50k messages in
it. When I try to enter those groups with Gnus I can have a cigarette before