* Hey kids, it's dumb question time...
@ 1999-02-22 23:37 Daniel Pittman
       [not found] ` <m3ogmmarfr.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Daniel Pittman @ 1999-02-22 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I have been trying to work out a method for doing a couple of things with
pGnus (.74), but I have failed to locate the information in the manual, FAQ or
'C-h m' in the relevant areas...

So, the questions:

1) How do I get tell Gnus to send a courtesy copy of my postings, preferably
on a group by group basis?

2) Is there any way to reply to multiple (news) messages in the one reply.

Number two may need more explanation - I am involved in a newsgroup where the
postings are part of a collaborative fiction.  This is all well and good except
that there are often two or three different responses to a single posting, all
of which would be best logically addressed by posting a single reply.

I currently do this by hand but, well, it's a little inconvenient...

Thanks,
	Daniel

* Re: Hey kids, it's dumb question time...
       [not found] ` <m3ogmmarfr.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 1999-02-23  1:25   ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 1999-02-23  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Regarding Re: Hey kids, it's dumb question time...; Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> adds:

SSR> * Daniel Pittman <daniel@danann.net> 23 Feb 1999 10:37:17 +1100 | 1) How
SSR> do I get tell Gnus to send a courtesy copy of my postings, | preferably
SSR> on a group by group basis?

SSR> You don't.  'Courtesy copies' are extremely *UN*courteous; most people
SSR> hate them.  If you absolutely must both post and mail a copy of a
SSR> message, manually insert a 'To' header, and only do so after checking to
SSR> see if that the 'Mail-Copies-To' header of the original does not say
SSR> 'none' (mine say 'none').

Note the 'group by group basis' section above.  I agree with you regarding the
usefulness of courtesy copies but, my tastes aside, it is policy in a
particular group I participate in to send them.  By hand it is, then.

@ 1999-02-23  1:59 ` Justin Sheehy
       [not found] ` <m3ogmmarfr.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-02-23  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Pittman <daniel@danann.net> writes:

> 1) How do I get tell Gnus to send a courtesy copy of my postings, preferably
> on a group by group basis?

You cannot turn it on in the general case, even for groups or topics.
This is intentional and due to wide abuse of thise sort of thing in
the past.  In cases where you know that it is desired by the person
that you're following up, press C-c C-t in the wide reply buffer.
That should do the right thing wit hthe To header.

> 2) Is there any way to reply to multiple (news) messages in the one reply.

Process mark them all with `#' and then press `F' to follow up.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: Hey kids, it's dumb question time...
@ 1999-02-23  7:53     ` Dale Hagglund
From: Dale Hagglund @ 1999-02-23  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Pittman <daniel@danann.net> writes:

> Note the 'group by group basis' section above.  I agree with you
> regarding the usefulness of courtesy copies but, my tastes aside, it
> is policy in a particular group I participate in to send them.  By
> hand it is, then.

I'm sure I've heard of a hook someone wrote that does the so-called
``courtesy copy'' stuff for you.  I can't, for the life of me,
remember where I saw it though.

You could probably arrange for it to run only for certain groups.

Sorry I can't give more precise information...

Dale.

@ 1999-02-23 11:14   ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1999-02-23 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> them.  If you absolutely must both post and mail a copy of a message,
> manually insert a 'To' header, and only do so after checking to see if that
> the 'Mail-Copies-To' header of the original does not say 'none' (mine say
> 'none').

No you do don't. You Type C-c C-t to insert the toheader with
the right header address. Message will do this check for you then.

Recent minibuffer messages (most recent first):

The user has requested not to have copies sent via mail

Jan

@ 1999-02-25 10:50   ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 1999-02-25 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> You don't.  'Courtesy copies' are extremely *UN*courteous; most people
> hate them.  If you absolutely must both post and mail a copy of a
> message, manually insert a 'To' header, and only do so after checking to
> see if that the 'Mail-Copies-To' header of the original does not say
> 'none' (mine say 'none').

Um, Rat, some of us gate stuff like postmaster and support mail to
internal newsgroups to deal with it more easily (and have an automatic
archive).  When responding to such messages, the feature commonly called
"courtesy copies" is mandatory if one wants the person sending the
original message to actually see the response.

I agree with you in the general case, but there's a good use for this
feature in some circumstances.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>