From: Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Backend-specific nnmail-spool-file?
Date: 12 Dec 1998 23:15:04 -0500	[thread overview]

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> > It is quite trivial to receive mail for multiple addresses at one
> > machine and have them all be read by the same user without doing
> > anything nearly as silly as what you suggest.

> Of course.  I can think of several ways to do it.  I have already done
> this via procmail, via mailagent, via my own homegrown IMAP and POP3
> Perl scripts, and via my own homegrown IMAP Python script

I didn't say that you needed any special tools other than Gnus.

> However, the question I originally posted has to do with whether it
> can be done solely within Gnus, without any outside help.

Certainly.

One simple example: Use Gnus as 'someuser'.  Point mail destined for
'otheruser' at someuser's account, via either a sendmail alias or a
.forward or some such thing.  Have Gnus filter based on the To header.

> If the answer is "no", then I will just make use of one of the other
> approaches I mentioned above.  If the answer is "yes", then I'm trying
> to figure out the best way to make it happen.

The answer is, Yes, you can read mail destined for several different
users all from within Gnus, without doing something as silly as
running it as the root user.  This is trivial.

> And if you have something useful to contribute to this discussion,
> then I would appreciate your input.  If, however, all you want to do
> is editorialize as to how silly you perceive the question to be, then
> why bother cluttering up this thread in the mailing list with your
> comments at all?

One really ought to use the root account for administrative purposes
only, and other user accounts for all user-like activities.  I was
trying to help you realize this.  That was useful input, though you
may not have decided to use it.

If you ask a question that ought to receive a technical answer, people
may answer with technical details.  If you ask how to do something
ridiculous, people will say "that's ridiculous, you shouldn't do that".

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.