* Switching my From: address...
@ 1998-02-19 21:59 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1998-02-19 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I hope this isn't RTFM, but I didn't see it.

Can I (how can I) adjust the From: header on outgoing messages?
For replies on some mailing lists I would like it to be one thing
and on others I would like it to be another.

Seems like a hook at the right point could reach in and change
that, but maybe I'm mistaken.  Maybe SMTP adds that header or
something...

--norm

* Re: Switching my From: address...
@ 1998-02-19 22:20 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1998-02-19 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Walsh writes:

> I hope this isn't RTFM, but I didn't see it.
> Can I (how can I) adjust the From: header on outgoing messages?
> For replies on some mailing lists I would like it to be one thing
> and on others I would like it to be another.

Short answer: `user-mail-address'.

> Seems like a hook at the right point could reach in and change
> that, but maybe I'm mistaken.  Maybe SMTP adds that header or
> something...

Long answer: this is the code that I use.

I wrap `message-send' to bind `user-mail-address' to the address that I
want to send.

The function `cor-generate-user-mail-address' returns my Merrill address
if one of the recipients is @ml.com.  Otherwise, it returns my home
address.  The goofy regexp is so that I don't match on the message-id.

(defadvice message-send (around change-my-name activate)
  "Change my name to the appropriate one."
  (let ((user-mail-address (cor-generate-user-mail-address)))
    ad-do-it))

(defun cor-generate-user-mail-address ()
  "Generate the appropriate user-mail-address"
  (save-excursion
    (widen)
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (let ((bound (and (re-search-forward (concat "^" mail-header-separator "$") nil t)
		      (point))))
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (if (or (not bound)
	      (re-search-forward "[^f][^s][^f]@ml\\.com[^-A-Za-z.0-9]" bound t))
	  "craffert@ml.com"
	"colin@rafferty.net"))))

--
Colin

* Re: Switching my From: address...
@ 1998-02-20  5:07 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-02-20  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Walsh <norm@berkshire.net> writes:

> I hope this isn't RTFM, but I didn't see it.

Did you look in the FAQ?

Question 2.16 has a familiar-sounding title...

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: Switching my From: address...
@ 1998-02-24 16:43   ` James Troup
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: James Troup @ 1998-02-24 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Rafferty <craffert@ml.com> writes:

> Short answer: `user-mail-address'.

This doesn't work for me.

user-mail-address's value is "jjtroup@comp.brad.ac.uk"
mail-host-address's value is "comp.brad.ac.uk"

Yet I end up with a From: line of jjtroup@scm.brad.ac.uk.

Any ideas?  (Gnus v5.4.66; nntp 5.0; nnfolder 1.0)

--
James

* Re: Switching my From: address...
@ 1998-02-24 19:14     ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1998-02-24 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Troup writes:
> Colin Rafferty <craffert@ml.com> writes:

>> Short answer: `user-mail-address'.

> This doesn't work for me.

> user-mail-address's value is "jjtroup@comp.brad.ac.uk"
> mail-host-address's value is "comp.brad.ac.uk"

> Yet I end up with a From: line of jjtroup@scm.brad.ac.uk.

Actually, this is the From line that I am getting from you:

> From: James Troup <J.J.Troup@scm.brad.ac.uk>

It looks as though one of the machines that is routing your mail is
adding it for you.  I don't see how Gnus could figure out that your
return machine is scm.brad.ac.uk, since your actual machine is
dcsun4.comp.brad.ac.uk .

--
Colin

* Re: Switching my From: address...
@ 1998-02-24 19:58     ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 1998-02-24 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

	Are you sure gnus is to blame? you could use feedmail.el to
 get a last look at your message just before it leaves emacs, or you
 could try sendmail -bt to seeif it is your machine which id the
 culprit.

	manoj
--
 "Only a brave person is willing honestly to admit, and fearlessly to
 face, what a sincere and logical mind discovers." Rodan of Alexandria

* Re: Switching my From: address...
@ 1998-02-24 22:09     ` Mark Moll
From: Mark Moll @ 1998-02-24 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mmoll+

>>> On 24 Feb 1998 16:43:21 +0000, James Troup (JT) wrote:
JT> user-mail-address's value is "jjtroup@comp.brad.ac.uk"
JT> mail-host-address's value is "comp.brad.ac.uk"

JT> Yet I end up with a From: line of jjtroup@scm.brad.ac.uk.

Try

(setq message-sendmail-f-is-evil t)

--