* Setting Status header in nnml?
@ 1999-02-10 16:11 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-02-10 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm wondering about the feasibility of an idea:  could Gnus set the
`Status:' header to some sort of meaningful value(s) in the actual
message files when using the nnml back end?  This way, some external
(i.e., non-Gnus) software could interrogate the new/read/unread/etc.
status of email in the various nnml directories I'm using.

This would also be nice within the other back ends, as well, such as
nnfolder ... but perhaps this is already done in some of these ... ???

Any thoughts?

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Setting Status header in nnml?
@ 1999-02-10 16:18 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-02-10 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> I'm wondering about the feasibility of an idea:  could Gnus set the
> `Status:' header to some sort of meaningful value(s) in the actual
> message files when using the nnml back end?  This way, some external
> (i.e., non-Gnus) software could interrogate the new/read/unread/etc.
> status of email in the various nnml directories I'm using.
>
> This would also be nice within the other back ends, as well, such as
> nnfolder ... but perhaps this is already done in some of these ... ???

Well, that information already exists.  For example, you could just
parse the ~/.newsrc.eld file.

Using Status headers in the way you describe might be possible, but
would be really expensive.  For instance, if you did a catchup on a
group with many articles, Gnus would have to open each file and modify
it.  This could take a really long time.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: Setting Status header in nnml?
@ 1999-02-10 16:38   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-02-10 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
> > I'm wondering about the feasibility of an idea:  could Gnus set the
> > `Status:' header to some sort of meaningful value(s) in the actual
> > message files when using the nnml back end?  This way, some external
> > (i.e., non-Gnus) software could interrogate the new/read/unread/etc.
> > status of email in the various nnml directories I'm using.
> >
> > This would also be nice within the other back ends, as well, such as
> > nnfolder ... but perhaps this is already done in some of these ... ???
>
> Well, that information already exists.  For example, you could just
> parse the ~/.newsrc.eld file.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that ... :):)

> Using Status headers in the way you describe might be possible, but
> would be really expensive.  For instance, if you did a catchup on a
> group with many articles, Gnus would have to open each file and modify
> it.  This could take a really long time.

Yeah ... I know.  But perhaps this capbility could be an option for those
of us who want to pay the price in processing time.  The default behavior
could be the same as what we have today.

--

@ 1999-02-10 19:59     ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-02-10 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> > Well, that information already exists.  For example, you could just
> > parse the ~/.newsrc.eld file.
>
> I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that ... :):)

It's all in nice lists.  It should not be hard to tear out the bits
that you want.

> > Using Status headers in the way you describe might be possible, but
> > would be really expensive.  For instance, if you did a catchup on a
> > group with many articles, Gnus would have to open each file and modify
> > it.  This could take a really long time.
>
> Yeah ... I know.  But perhaps this capbility could be an option for those
> of us who want to pay the price in processing time.

I won't pretend to speak for Lars, but I really doubt it.  Having Gnus
store a bunch of totally redundant information in an extremely
time-consuming manner is probably never going to be very high on the
todo list.

If you submit code to do this that is well-written and doesn't impact
anyone that doesn't turn it on, perhaps it'll be incorporated.

Otherwise, I strongly doubt that this capability will show up anytime soon.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: Setting Status header in nnml?
@ 1999-02-11  0:05       ` Patrick Audley
From: Patrick Audley @ 1999-02-11  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Justin> It's all in nice lists.  It should not be hard to tear out
    Justin> the bits that you want.

	Umm... if you're using lisp yes..  But it wouldn't be fun from,
say, C or C++.

    Justin> I won't pretend to speak for Lars, but I really doubt it.
    Justin> Having Gnus store a bunch of totally redundant information
    Justin> in an extremely time-consuming manner is probably never
    Justin> going to be very high on the todo list.

	I'd rank this as a very important feature.  With a couple of
lines of code, you could modify cyrus or imapd to read nnml spool; a
VERY useful feature.

* Re: Setting Status header in nnml?
@ 1999-02-11 16:41         ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-02-11 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Audley <paudley@gt.ca> writes:

> it wouldn't be fun from, say, C or C++.

Sure, but that is a truism for nearly any problem.

>     Justin> Having Gnus store a bunch of totally redundant information
>     Justin> in an extremely time-consuming manner is probably never
>     Justin> going to be very high on the todo list.
>
> 	I'd rank this as a very important feature.

Feel free to write it.

-Justin