* pgnus expiry?
@ 1998-12-13  5:05 Justin Sheehy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-12-13  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am I the only one for whom expiry has ceased to do anything useful?

For a while I thought that I had broken it myself, but after some
experimentation, I don't believe that is the case.

For example... my toplevel topic has the total-expire parameter set to
t, and my emacs subtopic has expiry-wait set to 14.  I have messages
in my ding group that are much more than two weeks old.  Dating back
to things sent fairly early in the pgnus cycle, in fact.

(The fact that I set the group parameters in the topics has nothing to
do with the problem, really.)

Invoking expiry simply gives the "Expiring messages in nnml:ding...done"
message, doesn't delete anything, and then finishes.  Quite quickly.

As much as I appreciate the speedup in expiry speed, disk isn't quite
that cheap.  Any ideas?

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: pgnus expiry?
@ 1998-12-13  8:17 ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 1998-12-13  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

|   Am I the only one for whom expiry has ceased to do anything useful?

Here is says:

    Expiring articles...
    Deleting article /home/ke/Mail/mail/rest/848 in mail.rest
    Deleting article /home/ke/Mail/mail/rest/849 in mail.rest
    Expiring articles...done

and that's the truth ;-)

I'm using:

(setq gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups
      (concat
       "mail.dssslist\\|mail.ftp\\|mail.de\\|mail.fr"
       "\\|mail.tei\\|mail.docbook\\|mail.gnus"
       "\\|mail.pgsqlsql\\|mail.pgsqlgeneral\\|mail.pgsqlnovice"
       "\\|mail.emacs-w3\\|mail.root")
      nnmail-keep-last-article nil
      nnmail-expiry-wait 14
      gnus-permanently-visible-groups "^nnml:")

(setq nnmail-expiry-wait-function
      (lambda (group)
	(cond ((string= group "mail.private")
	       31)
	      ((string= group "mail.junk")
	       1)
	      ((string= group "important")
	       'never)
	      (t
	       6))))

--
Karl Eichwalder

* Re: pgnus expiry?
@ 1998-12-13  9:04 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-13  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> Invoking expiry simply gives the "Expiring messages in nnml:ding...done"
> message, doesn't delete anything, and then finishes.  Quite quickly.

That's `C-c C-x'?  If I do that, the old expirable messages are
expired...  (nnml looks at file timestamps to determine whether a
message is old.)

* Re: pgnus expiry?
@ 1998-12-13 11:21 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-12-13 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> Am I the only one for whom expiry has ceased to do anything useful?

Justin, total expiry works for me.  Perhaps something subtle has
broken in your setup.

* Re: pgnus expiry?
@ 1998-12-13 18:12   ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-12-13 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Justin, total expiry works for me.  Perhaps something subtle has
> broken in your setup.

Okay, thanks.  That's really what I wanted to know.  Now I'll keep
looking for the culprit.

-Justin