* convenient mime keys
@ 1998-09-25 17:11 Wes Hardaker
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-09-25 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

One of the things I've always hated about TM is that it forced me into
the article buffer.  I *hate* doing that because there is no ideal way
to switch back to the summary buffer ('h' is very slow for some
reason, and c-x o doesn't work because I have *bbdb* and *group*
displayed as well).

Anyway, what I think would be cool is to number the mime attachments
shown in the buffer, and then make a new key binding set that did the
equivalent of the button presses in the article buffer on that
attachment.

IE:

  [1: text/plain]

  [2: image/jpeg]

Keys:  1 M t -> toggles display
       2 M s -> saves the part
       1 M R -> replies to the message, using that part to quote from...

etc...

(the M prefix key is already used, I just didn't want to go searching
for someplace just for this example).

The problem will come into things like multi-part alternatives in a
message with attachments and the numbering system.  I wanted all
numbers since it could be used in the prefix arguments as shown above,
but what about things like:

  [1a: text/plain]
  [1b: text/html]         (alternative)
  [2: image/jpeg]

How should these be numbered so that we can keep a numerical prefix?
"1 2 3" is one possibility, but confuses the layout of the mime
message.  Maybe 11 12 3?  (watching for uniqueness)...

maybe:
  [1: 1a: text/plain]
  [2: 1b: text/html]         (alternative)
  [3: 2: image/jpeg]

(ie, a weird labeling scheme)

Thoughts, ideas, flames?

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."