* resending message & adding new headers
@ 1999-01-31 18:32 Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1999-01-31 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

when resending a message which does not contain MIME-Version and
Content-Type headers, gnus seems to add them. Is this correct?

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.

* Re: resending message & adding new headers
@ 1999-02-01 21:09 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-01 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:

> when resending a message which does not contain MIME-Version and
> Content-Type headers, gnus seems to add them. Is this correct?

Hm.  Well...  Er.  I'm not sure.  :-)

* Re: resending message & adding new headers
@ 1999-02-23 17:02   ` David Kågedal
From: David Kågedal @ 1999-02-23 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:
>
> > when resending a message which does not contain MIME-Version and
> > Content-Type headers, gnus seems to add them. Is this correct?
>
> Hm.  Well...  Er.  I'm not sure.  :-)

On a related note, I have lots of trouble moderating a
SmartList-managed mailing list.

What happens is that I get the mail for approval. I should then add an
"Approved:" header and resend it to the list.

My first way of doing it has been to hit 'e', add the header manually,
mark the whole buffer and then do a shell-command-on-region, invoking
sendmail.

My next approach to make life easier for me was to write a little
script that added the header and use '|' to pipe the mail through it.

But alas!  The mail being resent is not the same as the one I got.
For text/plain mails it doesn't matter, but for multipart/* what gets
sent is simply what I was seeing in by *Article* buffer, which can be
something much less that the whole message.

How do I get to the raw message?

(pgnus 0.66)

--
David Kågedal        <davidk@lysator.liu.se> http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/

* Re: resending message & adding new headers
@ 1999-02-23 17:16     ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-02-23 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

davidk@lysator.liu.se (David Kågedal) writes:

  > How do I get to the raw message?

Type C-u g first, then hit e to edit.

kai
--
I like _\bb_\bo_\bt_\bh kinds of music.

* Re: resending message & adding new headers
@ 1999-02-23 19:25     ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1999-02-23 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

DK> But alas!  The mail being resent is not the same as the one I got. For
DK> text/plain mails it doesn't matter, but for multipart/* what gets sent
DK> is simply what I was seeing in by *Article* buffer, which can be
DK> something much less that the whole message.

Ack!  Is this really the case?  Majordomo1 moderates the same way; you pipe
to the 'approve' script.  I certainly hope I haven't been hosing all of my
approved messages.

There needs to be a way to simply dump the whole article, byte-for-byte,
unencoded, to a pipe.

(I'm stuck at 0.65 myself; too scared to upgrade given the mail-source
changes and my huge procmail setup.)

 - J<

* Re: resending message & adding new headers
@ 1999-02-23 21:07       ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-02-23 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> writes:

> Ack!  Is this really the case?  Majordomo1 moderates the same way; you pipe
> to the 'approve' script.  I certainly hope I haven't been hosing all of my
> approved messages.
>
> There needs to be a way to simply dump the whole article, byte-for-byte,
> unencoded, to a pipe.

I've been doing a `C-u g' before the pipe to approve.

> (I'm stuck at 0.65 myself; too scared to upgrade given the mail-source
> changes and my huge procmail setup.)

I stayed at 0.69 for a while because 0.7x (as a result of the addition
of the mail-source stuff) didn't work with my procmail setup.

0.77 is the first one that uses the mail-source stuff that I've been
happy with.  Simply changed my nnmail-spool-file to:

((directory
            :path "/afs/rcf/user/justin/Mail/incoming"
            :match "[a-z]"
            :suffix ""))

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: resending message & adding new headers
@ 1999-02-23 21:25         ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-02-23 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> 0.77 is the first one that uses the mail-source stuff that I've been
> happy with.  Simply changed my nnmail-spool-file to:
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ <-- this cries for
                                                       plural!

> ((directory
>             :path "/afs/rcf/user/justin/Mail/incoming"
>             :match "[a-z]"
>             :suffix ""))

Why are the :match and :suffix thingies needed?  I'm curious!

* Re: resending message & adding new headers
@ 1999-02-23 22:31           ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-02-23 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> > ((directory
> >             :path "/afs/rcf/user/justin/Mail/incoming"
> >             :match "[a-z]"
> >             :suffix ""))
>
> Why are the :match and :suffix thingies needed?  I'm curious!

:suffix is needed because it defaults to ".spool" I personally see no
need for the redundant information of naming my spool files
<foo>.spool, so I need to change that from its default.

:match, um, er.  *abashed* I just removed it from my ~/.gnus.el.
Turns out that it is now meaningless, although it existed in earlier
versions.  Its functionality has been subsumed by :predicate, which
has an excellent default of the identity function.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: resending message & adding new headers
@ 1999-02-24 14:16       ` David Kågedal
From: David Kågedal @ 1999-02-24 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> davidk@lysator.liu.se (David Kågedal) writes:
>
>   > How do I get to the raw message?
>
> Type C-u g first, then hit e to edit.

I realised that soon after I sent the mail (as usual).  In my case it
would be | instead of e.

--
David Kågedal        <davidk@lysator.liu.se> http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/