* MIME extracts one but not another
@ 1999-02-23 20:39 Shane Holder
From: Shane Holder @ 1999-02-23 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

XEmacs 21.0 "Pyrenean" [Lucid] (i386-pc-win32) of Tue Jan 05 1999 on HERMES
Gnus v5.6.45

I've got 2 e-mail messages with a mime message in each.  In the first
is a Powerpoint presentation with the followin MIME headers.

> --openmail-part-1c8d9959-00000002

When I click on the "button" the file extracts into /tmp with no
problems.  But in the 2nd e-mail I have the following headers

> --openmail-part-1ca8043e-00000002

which gives the following error upon extracting the file.

> Error starting:
> "c:\\PROGRA~1\\XEmacs\\xemacs-packages\\lib-src\\tm-file", "Exec format error"

tm-file is a shell script and for obvious reasons won't run under NT.
So, my question is why does the ppt file extract but not the exe?

Thanks,
Shane

* Re: MIME extracts one but not another
@ 1999-02-23 21:22 ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1999-02-23 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Shane Holder <holder@rsn.hp.com> writes:

> XEmacs 21.0 "Pyrenean" [Lucid] (i386-pc-win32) of Tue Jan 05 1999 on HERMES
> Gnus v5.6.45
>
> I've got 2 e-mail messages with a mime message in each.  In the first
> is a Powerpoint presentation with the followin MIME headers.
>
> > --openmail-part-1c8d9959-00000002
>
> When I click on the "button" the file extracts into /tmp with no
> problems.  But in the 2nd e-mail I have the following headers
>
> > --openmail-part-1ca8043e-00000002
>
> which gives the following error upon extracting the file.
>
> > Error starting:
> > "c:\\PROGRA~1\\XEmacs\\xemacs-packages\\lib-src\\tm-file", "Exec format error"
>
> tm-file is a shell script and for obvious reasons won't run under NT.
> So, my question is why does the ppt file extract but not the exe?

Do you have a specific mime viewer set up for applicatin/vnd.ms-powerpoint
and not for application/octet-stream?

Also, I'd use the Gnus builtin MIME support... tighter integration than
tm. :)

-Bill P.

* Re: MIME extracts one but not another
@ 1999-02-23 21:48   ` Shane Holder
From: Shane Holder @ 1999-02-23 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:

> Do you have a specific mime viewer set up for applicatin/vnd.ms-powerpoint
> and not for application/octet-stream?

Not that I'm aware of, MIME under Gnus is new to me, and it's not very
well documented.  I don't have a ~/.mailcap (don't know if tm/gnus
uses it under NT/XEmacs).

> Also, I'd use the Gnus builtin MIME support... tighter integration than
> tm. :)

Sounds good, but from my reading it only looks available under pgnus,
is that true?

@ 1999-02-23 21:57     ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-02-23 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shane Holder <holder@rsn.hp.com> writes:

> Sounds good, but from my reading it only looks available under pgnus,
> is that true?

Yes.

Generally, if someone sends something to this list, I (and probably
some other people) will assume that the person sending the message is
using or able to use the latest alpha Gnus.  That is, after all,
exactly what this mailing list is for.

If someone is referring to an issue about Gnus but unrelated to pgnus,
they should generally send their message to gnu.emacs.gnus to avoid
this sort of confusion.  That is, after all, exactly what that
newsgroup is for.  :-)

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.