From: Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Gnus bugs and some annoyances ...
Date: 11 Jan 1998 21:36:21 -0500	[thread overview]

Stefan Waldherr <swa@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

>    I mark all articles again with `#' and move it back to `swa'.
>    Now the articles numbers start with >> 1. I would have expected,
>    that they start with 1, since the group is empty.
>    This is bug #2.

This is not a bug.

There is no reason for them to start at 1, as Gnus is the only thing
that should care about their actual numbers.  What you have managed to
do, though, is pack them so that there are no gaps between article
numbers.

> the way gnus determines the number of articles with maxn-minn isn't
> particular smart since you could have deleted some articles in between. Is
> there a particular reason why the number of articles are determined that way?

Yep.  It is a decent approximation and is only used when a fast
approximation is (generally) better than a slow exact count.

> It is annoying because I have one folder with four mails and -- you
> might have guessed it --- with very high article numbers. Now, any
> time I enter this folder, gnus asks me `How many articles...'?

I would guess that this is not because of high article numbers, but
that it is because the articles have significant gaps between their
numbers.

> MH has a nice feature where you can pack folder (pack as in renumber
> all articles so that there is no gap in the sequence of
> numbers). Could such a thing be of use for gnus?

Certainly.  In fact, you have already done so yourself.

Moving them from swa->swa would also have done the trick, and it would
be simpler than swa->temp->swa.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.