From: Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@2007.43-1.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: cannot always fetch parent article
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 18:49:36 +0200	[thread overview]

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
>> Even more fun:  The Xref header doesn't even stay the same!
>> This happens with both newsservers I have tried.
>
> Strange.  I did the same test with three news servers and
> confirmed the Xref header never varies.
>
> news.individual.net (INN?)
> news.gnus.org (INN 2.3.2)
> the local server (INN 2.3.5)

newszilla.xs4all.nl and news.arcor.de both seem to run Diablo.

I found an interesting post about this [1]: apparently Diablo will
forward a request by Message-Id to a different system, which likely has
different article numbers.  If load balancing is used this might explain
why I get sometimes different article numbers.

>> Is there any way to make Gnus fetch the whole article at once instead of
>> first fetching the header and then the whole article?  This would at
>> least be a workaround.
>
> Even if your servers always return the right article for the command
>
> article <vfbqdnyn4t.fsf@googlemail.com>
>
> , I don't think there is an easy way to do that with Gnus.  Isn't
> it better to look into the reason why the Xref header varies (and
> to fix the problem in the servers side if possible)?

If I post a followup to an article to a different group (e.g. a random
*.test group) and then try to fetch the parent article it works without
problems.  The problem only occurs if the parent was posted in the
same group as the followup and Gnus tries to guess the article number.
If Gnus behaved as in the first case, everything would be fine.

Ansgar

Footnotes:
[1]  <pan.2004.03.17.10.27.18.676702@proxad.net>