* cannot always fetch parent article
@ 2007-08-06 14:47 Ansgar Burchardt
From: Ansgar Burchardt @ 2007-08-06 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[I posted a less detailed version of this three days ago on
 gnu.emacs.gnus [1], but got no answer so far]

Hi,

I'm using gnus to read newsgroups, but somehow the ^-command
(gnus-summary-refer-parent-article) doesn't always work.

If the parent is not in the summary buffer the command fails:
  423 No such article number in this group
  No such article (may have expired or been canceled)

I tried setting
  (setq gnus-refer-article-method
        '(current (nnweb "google" (nnweb-type google))))
but this had no effect.  Using only Google works but is painfully slow.

Capturing traffic between Gnus and the NNTP server reveals the problem.
I have a message with this header:
  Gnus:
    ARTICLE 36849
  Server:
    423 No such article number in this group

The problem is that the number in the Xref header is *not* the article
number to use with the ARTICLE command.  It is even outside the range
for valid article numbers:
  LIST ACTIVE gnu.emacs.gnus
  215 Newsgroups in form "group high low flags".
  gnu.emacs.gnus 0000077358 0000077256 y

Even more fun:  The Xref header doesn't even stay the same!
  C: group gnu.emacs.gnus
  S: 211 103 77256 77358 gnu.emacs.gnus
  S: head 77357
  S: 221 77357 <vfbqdnyn4t.fsf@googlemail.com> head
  S: [...]
  S: Xref: dreader10.news.xs4all.nl gnu.emacs.gnus:77357

  C: head <vfbqdnyn4t.fsf@googlemail.com>
  S: 221 0 <vfbqdnyn4t.fsf@googlemail.com> head
  S: [...]
  S: Xref: dreader10.news.xs4all.nl gnu.emacs.gnus:37424

  C: head <vfbqdnyn4t.fsf@googlemail.com>
  S: 221 0 <vfbqdnyn4t.fsf@googlemail.com> head
  S: [...]
  S: Xref: dreader10.news.xs4all.nl gnu.emacs.gnus:36849

This happens with both newsservers I have tried.

Is there any way to make Gnus fetch the whole article at once instead of
first fetching the header and then the whole article?  This would at
least be a workaround.

I'm using the Debian package for emacs 22.1+1 and the included version
of Gnus.

Ansgar

[1] see <gnus-86k5sciimj.fsf@wg42.homeip.net>