* `s' and `q' takes a long time
@ 2005-05-17 20:21 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2005-05-17 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Both the Group buffer command `s' (which saves .newsrc.eld and
.gnus.registry.eld) and `q' (which saves the same two files and exits
Gnus) takes a long time for me on today's CVS version of Gnus.

Is this expected behaviour?  I upgraded from a January 14 CVS
chekcout, where I didn't see this.  It's like it does a lot of
calculation before saving.

* Re: `s' and `q' takes a long time
@ 2005-05-18 19:20 ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2005-05-18 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> Is this expected behaviour?  I upgraded from a January 14 CVS
> chekcout, where I didn't see this.  It's like it does a lot of
> calculation before saving.

This is also the case for NGnus 0.3, I've haven't tried 'q' yet but
's' takes 2-5 seconds before any messages about adding whitespace in
the registry or saving .newsrc.eld are shown.

--
(        http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* Re: `s' and `q' takes a long time
@ 2005-05-19 16:23 ` Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 2005-05-19 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On the 17th of May 2005 at 22:21, Steinar Bang <sb#dod.no> wrote:

> Both the Group buffer command `s' (which saves .newsrc.eld and
> .gnus.registry.eld) and `q' (which saves the same two files and exits
> Gnus) takes a long time for me on today's CVS version of Gnus.

I've just updated my quite old cvs gnus and I have to say that this fresh
one is much much faster here - summary generation, displaying articles,
moving articles, saving newsrc.eld, ...

On the other hand, it may be just the effect of starting gnus again after
its few weeks uptime. I have strange feeling that it gets slower and slower
after some time.

Ah, I don't use gnus-registry.

 m.m.
--
 use gnus, not guns!

* Re: `s' and `q' takes a long time
@ 2005-05-31 17:01   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2005-05-31 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 May 2005, tvrud@bredband.net wrote:

> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:
>
>> Is this expected behaviour?  I upgraded from a January 14 CVS
>> chekcout, where I didn't see this.  It's like it does a lot of
>> calculation before saving.
>
> This is also the case for NGnus 0.3, I've haven't tried 'q' yet but
> 's' takes 2-5 seconds before any messages about adding whitespace in
> the registry or saving .newsrc.eld are shown.

[back from vacation]

You can explicitly save the registry with

M-: (gnus-registry-save t)

and see if that's slow.  If so, you can trim it with
gnus-registry-max-entries and gnus-registry-ignored-groups.

I know I should really write docs for the gnus-registry.el package.
I've just been too busy to do it.

Ted