From: Maciej Matysiak <phoner.ding@blah.pl>
Subject: Re: request for simple handler or batch job to get mail/news
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 14:41:53 +0200	[thread overview]

On the 1st of July 2004 at 13:08, Harry Putnam <reader#newsguy.com> wrote:

>> [Quoted text removed due to X-No-Archive]
> Aside: Maciej did you intend for the above action to happen when pressing `F'
> (followup)?

add the header? yes. quoted text being removed by gnus due to it? no :)

> Apparently your X-No-Archive header causes gnus to insert the above
> line and not yank your message into reply buffer.

that's something new for me, must be one of larsi's ideas ;)
that header was intended for protection of my e-mail address stored in various
archives, but it's already in spammers' databases :(

> Now on the handler:
> I wondered if this section:
>
>> (defun gnus-demon-scan-mail ()
>>  (when (and (gnus-alive-p) mail-here)
>>    (save-excursion
>>      (set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
>>      (gnus-group-get-new-news 2))))
>
> Means that your mail groups have to be at level 2?

yes, my e-mail is stored in nnml groups which all have level 2.

> And further that if I were to put a 3 there which includes all mail and news
> groups, if that would make that particular handler fetch both?

i guess so.
the reason i have mail on level 2 and news on level 3 is that the connection
to news server is much slower than to my mail server, so checking news status
every few minutes would be pain. and updating information about news groups
is another few wasted seconds.

 m.m.
--
 use gnus, not guns!