From: Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: something changed in emacs 24 with gmail authentication?
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 15:35:45 +0100	[thread overview]

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 14:40:58 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> RR> I just noticed that my emails from gnus are not sending. Nothing has
> RR> changed on my client other than a git pull recently for emacs 24.
>
> RR> ,----
> RR> | 2011-11-01 14:37:09 1RLEWZ-0001UH-St plain authenticator failed H=gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com [74.125.39.109] 535-5.7.1 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at
> RR> | 535 5.7.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14257 y17sm44891623faf.1
> RR> `----
>
> RR> Same entry in my .authinfo
>
> RR> server set up like this:-
>
> RR> ,----
> RR> |    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
> RR> |                 '(nnimap "riley"
> RR> |                          (nnir-search-engine imap)
> RR> |                          (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
> RR> |                          ))
> RR> `----
>
> RR> authinfo entry like this
>
> RR> ,----
> RR> | machine riley login rileyrg password ******
> RR> `----
>
> RR> debian squeeze.
>
> Could you verify that you can send to GMail's SMTP server with another
> SMTP client?

I can - (android and iphone) with the same credentials.

My set up is (and has always been) exim4 configured to use a smarthost.

send-mail-function is sendmail-send-it

and

sendmail-program is a variable defined in `sendmail.el'.
Its value is "/usr/sbin/sendmail"

I'm not sure how long this has been like this but I suspect a while now
as Gnus was not reporting back send failures.

Do you want me to specifically install another mail client that uses
sendmail on this system?

I'm really clueless about how it all hangs together and passes auth
info, so please ask for any and all further info you need.