K Großjohann writes: > Paul, what happens when you do the following? > > emacs -q -no-site-file -batch --eval "(print (featurep 'base64))" > > If it prints t, then Emacs has base64 support in the C code. Then a > workaround for base64-encode-string should be in canlock. If it > prints nil, then (require 'base64) in canlock.el should do the trick. It prints nil (require 'base64) doesn't seem to do the trick. I don't know that the warning: ** the function base64-encode-string is not known to be defined. is really relevant - base64 stuff ends up in the load path. Posting news fails in either of two ways, one, which involves emacs crashing gives the backtrace I posted previously (out of memory). When that doesn't happen, I get the following backtrace