From: Paul Stevenson <p.stevenson@surrey.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: tunneling nntp connection
Date: 31 Oct 2000 15:07:19 +0000	[thread overview]

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> Step one: use SSH.  You don't want passwords bouncing around in the clear.

I agree, but there is no sshd on the other machine, so I use rsh with
an .rhosts file.  Not ideal, I know.

> Step twp: use Netcat (nc).  It works like telnet except that it is totally
> clean and transparent.
>
> Step three:
>   (setq gnus-select-method
> 	'(nntp "news.gweep.net"
> 	       (nntp-address "sidehack.gweep.net")
> 	       (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
> 	       (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
> 	       (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
> 	       (nntp-rlogin-parameters
> 		("bin/nc" "news.gweep.net" "nntp"))))
>   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods nil)
>
> Where "bin/nc" is the path to the netcat executable on the news server.

That looks good. I'm slightly loath to eat up more of my miniscule
quota with nc and trying to get it to compile on the sun with no
gcc... but I will if necessary.  I tried telnet first and I can't post
because there is no subject line! Presumably end-of-line is being
garbled.  I guess this is why you recommeded nc...

--
.  Dr Paul Stevenson   .   Reasearch Fellow   .   University of Surrey  .
.     phone: +44 (0) 1483 876795     .     fax +44 (0) 1483 876781      .