* gnus-summary-reply-with-original in 5.9.0 and current CVS?
@ 2001-06-08 15:02 Pavel Janík
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Pavel Janík @ 2001-06-08 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

when trying to use gnus-summary-reply-with-original (R) in the summary
buffer, I see a minor inconsistency in Emacs' 21 Gnus 5.9.0 and the current
CVS version when I'd like to cite previous mail which also contained
citation. I have

 '(message-yank-prefix "   > " t)

in my customized variables so the Prefix should be three spaces, character
`>' and another space.

I have one e-mail and pressed R in the summary buffer in 5.9.0 and its
behavior is correct - you can see it on
http://www.janik.cz/tmp/gnus-orig.png. However, CVS Gnus will prepare an
article buffer which will contain differently cited e-mail. You can see it
on http://www.janik.cz/tmp/gnus-cvs.png. The article buffer will look like:

   > On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 01:37:50PM +0200, Jan Kasprzak wrote:
   >
>> 	The goal is to speed-up reading of potentially slow filesystems
>> (NFS, maybe even CD-based ones) by the local on-disk cache in the same way

The last two lines contain cited citation on the previous mail but in 5.9.0
it will look like:

   > On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 01:37:50PM +0200, Jan Kasprzak wrote:
   >
   > > 	The goal is to speed-up reading of potentially slow filesystems
   > > (NFS, maybe even CD-based ones) by the local on-disk cache in the same way

Which is what I want... I have removed all of my citation specific code
from my ~/.gnus so there is nothing which can cause it, but there is a lot
of variables in customized variables... But note that 5.9.0 with same
customized variables and same .gnus will work correctly.
--
Pavel Janík

The most important is a callable procedure make_blue_screen_of_death().
                  -- Richard B. Johnson in linux-kernel about MS Windows 2000

* Re: gnus-summary-reply-with-original in 5.9.0 and current CVS?
@ 2001-06-08 15:42 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-06-08 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08 Jun 2001, Pavel Janík wrote:

> Which is what I want... I have removed all of my citation specific
> code from my ~/.gnus so there is nothing which can cause it, but
> there is a lot of variables in customized variables... But note that
> 5.9.0 with same customized variables and same .gnus will work
> correctly.

There was a recent change in Oort w.r.t. citation lines.  The new
behavior is intended.  It appears that it is general use to say that
level-1 citations should be prefixed "> ", level-2 citations should be
prefixed ">> " and not "> > ".

Maybe there should be a variable to customize the behavior?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: gnus-summary-reply-with-original in 5.9.0 and current CVS?
@ 2001-06-08 15:47 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-06-08 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pavel@Janik.cz (Pavel Janík) writes:
> when trying to use gnus-summary-reply-with-original (R) in the summary
> buffer, I see a minor inconsistency in Emacs' 21 Gnus 5.9.0 and the current
> CVS version when I'd like to cite previous mail which also contained
> citation. I have
>
>  '(message-yank-prefix "   > " t)
>
> in my customized variables so the Prefix should be three spaces, character
> `>' and another space.

There is now a separate variable for prefixing already-cited lines.
Set message-yank-cited-prefix to the same value as message-yank-prefix
to get the old behavior.

paul

* Re: gnus-summary-reply-with-original in 5.9.0 and current CVS?
@ 2001-06-08 15:50 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-06-08 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pavel@Janik.cz (Pavel Janík) writes:

> when trying to use gnus-summary-reply-with-original (R) in the summary
> buffer, I see a minor inconsistency in Emacs' 21 Gnus 5.9.0 and the current
> CVS version when I'd like to cite previous mail which also contained
> citation. I have
>
>  '(message-yank-prefix "   > " t)

See `message-yank-cited-prefix'.  Maybe one of these should, by
default, be derived from the other?

* Re: gnus-summary-reply-with-original in 5.9.0 and current CVS?
@ 2001-06-08 22:15   ` Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2001-06-08 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

   From: prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc)
   Date: 08 Jun 2001 11:47:54 -0400

Hi,

   > > when trying to use gnus-summary-reply-with-original (R) in the summary
   > > buffer, I see a minor inconsistency in Emacs' 21 Gnus 5.9.0 and the current
   > > CVS version when I'd like to cite previous mail which also contained
   > > citation. I have
   > >
   > >  '(message-yank-prefix "   > " t)
   > >
   > > in my customized variables so the Prefix should be three spaces, character
   > > `>' and another space.
   >
   > There is now a separate variable for prefixing already-cited lines.
   > Set message-yank-cited-prefix to the same value as message-yank-prefix
   > to get the old behavior.

thank you very much fro your reply. In my opinion, it should default to
message-yank-prefix to get the previous behavior.
--
Pavel Janík

panic("Oh boy, that early out of memory?");
                  -- 2.2.16 arch/mips/mm/init.c