* Using IMAP as the default mailing method
@ 1999-11-08 14:40 Denys Duchier
From: Denys Duchier @ 1999-11-08 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Simon Josefsson

Many thanks to all who helped me switch to IMAP.  Now that the basic
setup is working, I need to tighten all the bolts.  So here is my
puzzle of the day (well, puzzle number 1 anyway).

How do I set things up so that Gnus always uses IMAP to send out
email?  Is there a handy message-send-mail-with-imap that I can drop
into message-send-mail-function?

Cheers,

--
Dr. Denys Duchier			Denys.Duchier@ps.uni-sb.de
Forschungsbereich Programmiersysteme	(Programming Systems Lab)

* Re: Using IMAP as the default mailing method
@ 1999-11-08 15:16 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-08 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Denys Duchier <Denys.Duchier@ps.uni-sb.de> writes:

> How do I set things up so that Gnus always uses IMAP to send out
> email?  Is there a handy message-send-mail-with-imap that I can drop
> into message-send-mail-function?

AFAIK, IMAP does not support mail sending.  For this, SMTP is used.

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: Using IMAP as the default mailing method
@ 1999-11-08 16:57 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1999-11-08 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Denys Duchier <Denys.Duchier@ps.uni-sb.de> writes:

> How do I set things up so that Gnus always uses IMAP to send out
> email?  Is there a handy message-send-mail-with-imap that I can drop
> into message-send-mail-function?

IMAP doesn't send mail, sendmail does that.

OTOH, you can "send" mail into a IMAP group by putting a "Newsgroups:
nnimap+foo:INBOX.foo" header in your articles.

OTTH, I believe some servers have extensions to actually send mail. I
haven't seen a RFC or draft yet though.