* agent on nntp localhost
@ 2004-01-14 23:02 Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2004-01-14 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

When gnus-agentize does its thing, I wonder if it'd made sense not to
agentize a server nntp "localhost".

Unless I'm missing something, the agent stuff doesn't add much to a
server that's always available like localhost.

I guess maybe I should be using nnspool instead of nntp.  I had an
idea leafnode likes you to nntp, in particular to maintain its
"interesting" groups list.

* Re: agent on nntp localhost
@ 2004-01-15  2:34 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-01-15  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au> writes:

> When gnus-agentize does its thing, I wonder if it'd made sense not to
> agentize a server nntp "localhost".
>
> Unless I'm missing something, the agent stuff doesn't add much to a
> server that's always available like localhost.
>
> I guess maybe I should be using nnspool instead of nntp.  I had an
> idea leafnode likes you to nntp, in particular to maintain its
> "interesting" groups list.

I think it might be difficult to tell what is local and what is not.
Should it check the server name or nnimap-server-address?  I guess the
latter, but this would mean, for me, that all my servers would
unagentized, because I use ssh port forwarding.

I think agentizing a server is useful even on localhost -- it only
caches NOV data by defult, which can be useful for threading purposes
etc.

* Re: agent on nntp localhost
@ 2004-01-16 17:28   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-16 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think agentizing a server is useful even on localhost -- it only
> caches NOV data by defult, which can be useful for threading
> purposes etc.

I use Leafnode on localhost.  I benchmarked the difference agentized
and unagentized a while ago, and the Agent didn't offer any speed
benefit.  So I turned it off.

* Re: agent on nntp localhost
@ 2004-01-16 21:30   ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2004-01-16 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think it might be difficult to tell what is local and what is not.

I'm thinking only of ``(nntp "localhost")'' which certainly ought to
be local, and is likely to be what leafnode users such as me have.

> I think agentizing a server is useful even on localhost -- it only
> caches NOV data by defult, which can be useful for threading purposes
> etc.

I'd found it greatly slows down a `g'.  And seemingly every `g', not
just (for instance) when there's new articles.  I haven't tried to
find out why.

* Re: agent on nntp localhost
@ 2004-01-17  2:31     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-01-17  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>>
>> I think it might be difficult to tell what is local and what is not.
>
> I'm thinking only of ``(nntp "localhost")'' which certainly ought to
> be local, and is likely to be what leafnode users such as me have.

I dunno, I used (nntp "localhost") to access a ssh port forwarded news
server for some time.  But this might not be a widespread usage, so
perhaps the auto-agentizing logic can be improved.  Patches welcome.

>> I think agentizing a server is useful even on localhost -- it only
>> caches NOV data by defult, which can be useful for threading purposes
>> etc.
>
> I'd found it greatly slows down a `g'.  And seemingly every `g', not
> just (for instance) when there's new articles.  I haven't tried to
> find out why.

It could be useful to track down this, in parallel to the other
changes.