From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Subject: Re: Losing `expirable' marks in nnimap groups
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 21:34:53 +0200	[thread overview]

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> 1) If I send one mail message to my imap account, Gnus will think
>    there are three unread messages in my INBOX.  In general, Gnus is
>    off by a factor of three.  A copy of the *imap-log* buffer is
>    below.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is something weird about
>    the server I'm accessing.

The server has holes in the UID range, this makes Gnus' unread
estimate wrong.  Currently this is a documented feature, but hopefully
someone gets around to fixing it sometime (it really shouldn't be
difficult).

> 2) I have two machines each running Gnus, and both access the imap
>    server.  If I delete articles in one copy of Gnus, then start the
>    other copy, it thinks there are more unread articles than there
>    really are.

Same problem as 1), I think.

> 3) Similar, if I mark articles as expirable on one machine, and then
>    start Gnus on the other, it thinks the articles are just marked
>    as read, not expired.  Maybe this is just how nnimap works, but
>    a quick glance through the documentation didn't find this.

Gnus tries to set a gnus specific flag on the server on the article,
but your server didn't offer this feature so it didn't work.
(PERMANENTFLAGS was empty in your *imap-log*).

> 4) The nnimap docs say:
>
> `nnimap-expunge-on-close'
>      ... when you delete a article in Gnus (with `G DEL' or
>      similar).
>
>    Should that be `B DEL'?

Yup, fixed, thanks.

> 5) The nnimap docs say:
>
> `nnimap-importantize-dormant'
>      If non-nil, marks dormant articles as ticked (as well), for other
>      IMAP clients. Within Gnus, dormant articles will naturally still
>      (only) be marked as ticked.
>                          ^^^^^^
>
>     ticked or dormant?
>
>     Also, the docs should say what the default is.

Dormant, yes, fixed, thanks.