* name of group
@ 2005-10-26  9:42 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2005-10-26  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

Does anybody know about a function which allows me to determine in
which group I am actually in. Right I just have to look at the
modeline, but does there exist a function or say a variable which
would give me that information?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: name of group
@ 2005-10-26 10:29 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-10-26 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 26 2005, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> Does anybody know about a function which allows me to determine in
> which group I am actually in. Right I just have to look at the
> modeline, but does there exist a function or say a variable which
> would give me that information?

The variable `gnus-newsgroup-name'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: name of group
@ 2005-10-26 11:47   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2005-10-26 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Reiner> The variable `gnus-newsgroup-name'.

Thanks, now I realized that there is no function which would allow me
to insert that name, given by the variable you mentioned above, as a
string into a buffer. Something like (current-buffer), which
unfortunately is a built-in function so no easy possibility to get an
idea how it works.

Thanks anyhow

Uwe

* Re: name of group
@ 2005-10-26 12:20     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-10-26 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>    Reiner> The variable `gnus-newsgroup-name'.
>
> Thanks, now I realized that there is no function which would allow me
> to insert that name, given by the variable you mentioned above, as a
> string into a buffer.

I'm not sure if I understand what you want.  Maybe...

(insert gnus-newsgroup-name)

or better (`gnus-newsgroup-name' might be nil and `insert' wants a
char or a string) ...

(insert (format "%s" gnus-newsgroup-name))

or...

(defun uwe-insert-gnus-newsgroup-name ()

@ 2005-10-26 13:10       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2005-10-26 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Reiner> or better (`gnus-newsgroup-name' might be nil and `insert' wants a
   Reiner> char or a string) ...
Right,

   Reiner> (insert (format "%s" gnus-newsgroup-name))

This it was, I must say I did not understand the doc string of insert.
In any case *many thanks*, the above lines were precisely what I wanted.

Uwe

* Re: name of group
@ 2005-10-26 16:15 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-10-26 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hello
>
> Does anybody know about a function which allows me to determine in
> which group I am actually in. Right I just have to look at the
> modeline, but does there exist a function or say a variable which
> would give me that information?

Try gnus-newsgroup-name, available in the summary and article buffers.