* Re: Gnus displaying MIME automatically
       [not found] <87y9ku1ld2.fsf@yahoo.com>
@ 2001-11-26 15:20 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-11-26 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

At Mon, 26 Nov 2001 00:28:25 +0100,
Alex Schroeder wrote:

> I like to have buttons for MIME attachments -- and I like to have some
> mime types inlined automatically.  What I don't like is when I open an
> article and a new xterm pops up and stuff happens on my machine.  This
> just happened to me for the first time a few minutes ago.  My Gnus
> from CVS is a few days old.  What changed?  I looked through the
> ChangeLog for November but didn't see anything obvious.
>
> gnus-article-mime-match-handle-function's value is
>   undisplayed-alternative
> gnus-article-mime-part-function's value is nil
> gnus-buttonized-mime-types's value is nil
> gnus-display-mime-function's value is gnus-display-mime
> gnus-ignored-mime-types's value is nil
> gnus-mime-multipart-functions's value is nil
> gnus-unbuttonized-mime-types's value is (".*/.*")
>
> Nothing unusual there, right?
>
> >From *Messages*:
>
> Viewing with /usr/bin/w3m -T text/html '%s'
> Displaying /usr/bin/w3m -T text/html '/tmp/emm.2592im/mm.259Dts'...

You need to frob `mm-automatic-display' to not include text/html, I
think.

Or `mm-discouraged-alternatives'.  But...

...perhaps a MP3 file is even worse than HTML. (Also, it looks like a
worm instead of a real MP3 file.)

* Re: Gnus displaying MIME automatically
@ 2001-11-26 18:53   ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2001-11-26 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> gnus-article-mime-match-handle-function's value is
>>   undisplayed-alternative
>> gnus-article-mime-part-function's value is nil
>> gnus-buttonized-mime-types's value is nil
>> gnus-display-mime-function's value is gnus-display-mime
>> gnus-ignored-mime-types's value is nil
>> gnus-mime-multipart-functions's value is nil
>> gnus-unbuttonized-mime-types's value is (".*/.*")
>>
>> Nothing unusual there, right?
>>
>> >From *Messages*:
>>
>> Viewing with /usr/bin/w3m -T text/html '%s'
>> Displaying /usr/bin/w3m -T text/html '/tmp/emm.2592im/mm.259Dts'...
>
> You need to frob `mm-automatic-display' to not include text/html, I
> think.

> Or `mm-discouraged-alternatives'.  But...

> ...perhaps a MP3 file is even worse than HTML. (Also, it looks like a
> worm instead of a real MP3 file.)

Yes, I thought so, too.  So much the worse, haha.  But I am not sure
which part actually started the xterm window -- perhaps you are right
and it was the text/html part, not the audio/x-wav part which (I hope)
would have been a button.

Anyway, I have the following variables set, in addition to the ones
mentioned above:

mm-discouraged-alternatives's value is
("text/html" "text/richtext")

mm-automatic-display's value is
("text/plain" "text/enriched" "text/richtext" "text/html"
"text/x-vcard" "image/.*" "message/delivery-status" "multipart/.*"
"message/rfc822" "text/x-patch" "application/pgp-signature"
"application/emacs-lisp" "application/x-pkcs7-signature"
"application/pkcs7-signature" "application/x-pkcs7-mime"
"application/pkcs7-mime")

Does it seem plausible then that I got a mail with no text/plain and
only text/html in it -- thus the HTML is displayed.  And the reason is
that text/html is a discouraged alternative -- but if it is the only
alternative, it will be used.  Correct?  The correct solution would be
to remove text/html from mm-automatic-display.  Then I don't have to
specify text/html as a discouraged alternative anymore -- or do I?  Or
would it make more sense to add text/html to
gnus-buttonized-mime-types?

Anyway, is there any other place but the "MIME Commands" node in the
Gnus manual where such things are explained?

Alex.
--
http://www.geocities.com/kensanata/
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and sweet as love.

* Re: Gnus displaying MIME automatically
@ 2001-11-26 19:00     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-11-26 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Simon Josefsson, ding

At Mon, 26 Nov 2001 19:53:08 +0100,
Alex Schroeder wrote:

> Yes, I thought so, too.  So much the worse, haha.  But I am not sure
> which part actually started the xterm window -- perhaps you are right
> and it was the text/html part, not the audio/x-wav part which (I hope)
> would have been a button.

You quoted the *Message* buffer starting w3m, so I guess it would be
the text/html part.

> Does it seem plausible then that I got a mail with no text/plain and
> only text/html in it -- thus the HTML is displayed.

Yes.

> And the reason is that text/html is a discouraged alternative -- but
> if it is the only alternative, it will be used.  Correct?

Yes.

> The correct solution would be to remove text/html from
> mm-automatic-display.

Yup.

> Then I don't have to specify text/html as a discouraged alternative
> anymore -- or do I?

Well, they are orthogonal, so you must decide.  The first controls if
text/html should be displayed automatically, and the latter which part
of a multipart/altnerative to chose.

> Or would it make more sense to add text/html to
> gnus-buttonized-mime-types?

I don't think so, this variable only control if you get a button or
not.  It doesn't do anything about automaically inlining the part or
not.

> Anyway, is there any other place but the "MIME Commands" node in the
> Gnus manual where such things are explained?

The Emacs MIME manual.

* Re: Gnus displaying MIME automatically
@ 2001-11-26 21:07       ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2001-11-26 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Yes.