* synchronisation of reading same nntp servers from different machines
@ 2005-09-20 11:45 Alexander Kotelnikov
From: Alexander Kotelnikov @ 2005-09-20 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

Is there any possibility to synchronise article marks between gnuses
that are run on different machines for those (nntp) servers and
groups which are subscribed on all of them?

Another, probably related, question is can I when I run gnus on a
machine where I have never run it before feed it with
1. list of subscribed groups from another gnus
2. *Group* buffer layout (groups levels, topics, etc)
?

Thanks,
--
Alexander Kotelnikov
Saint-Petersburg, Russia

* Re: synchronisation of reading same nntp servers from different machines
@ 2005-09-20 12:15 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-09-20 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alexander Kotelnikov <sacha@myxomop.com> writes:

> Hello.
>
> Is there any possibility to synchronise article marks between gnuses
> that are run on different machines for those (nntp) servers and
> groups which are subscribed on all of them?

Yes, after using Gnus on one machine, copy ~/News/marks to the other
machine.  Make sure you call the server the same on the two machines,
in the server definition, otherwise you'll have to copy each server
directory separately.

> Another, probably related, question is can I when I run gnus on a
> machine where I have never run it before feed it with
> 1. list of subscribed groups from another gnus
> 2. *Group* buffer layout (groups levels, topics, etc)
> ?

I'm not sure this is possible to do easily now.  ~/.newsrc.eld contain
the relevant information, but it also contain some information that is
per-instance and should preferably not be synchronized.  E.g., which
articles are locally cached, and which articles are in the agent, and
the server definitions.

However, it would be simple to move the gnus-topic-* setq's inside
~/.newsrc.eld to another file, and then you could synchronize that
file.

Getting rid of ~/.newsrc.eld would be nice, and shouldn't be all that
complicated.  One idea would be to use customize-save on some of the
variables, e.g. gnus-topic-*.

I'm not sure why gnus-format-specs is stored in .newsrc.eld though.
Shouldn't this simply be a customized variable?

* Re: synchronisation of reading same nntp servers from different
@ 2005-09-21 10:51   ` Alexander Kotelnikov
From: Alexander Kotelnikov @ 2005-09-21 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

SJ> Alexander Kotelnikov <sacha@myxomop.com> writes:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is there any possibility to synchronise article marks between gnuses
>> that are run on different machines for those (nntp) servers and
>> groups which are subscribed on all of them?
SJ>
SJ> Yes, after using Gnus on one machine, copy ~/News/marks to the other
SJ> machine.  Make sure you call the server the same on the two machines,
SJ> in the server definition, otherwise you'll have to copy each server
SJ> directory separately.

Oops... There is no such file or directory in my ~/News/, I use Gnus
v5.10.7.

--

@ 2005-09-21 11:45     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-09-21 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 21 2005, Alexander Kotelnikov wrote:

> [...]
[...]
> SJ> Yes, after using Gnus on one machine, copy ~/News/marks to the other
> SJ> machine.  Make sure you call the server the same on the two machines,
> SJ> in the server definition, otherwise you'll have to copy each server
> SJ> directory separately.
>
> Oops... There is no such file or directory in my ~/News/, I use Gnus
> v5.10.7.

nntp marks files are new in No Gnus:

,----[ (info "(gnus)No Gnus") ]
| New features in No Gnus:
|
| [...]
|    * The nntp back end store article marks in `~/News/marks'.
|
|      The directory can be changed using the (customizable) variable
|      `nntp-marks-directory', and marks can be disabled using the (back
|      end) variable `nntp-marks-is-evil'.  The advantage of this is that
|      you can copy `~/News/marks' (using rsync, scp or whatever) to
|      another Gnus installation, and it will realize what articles you
|      have read and marked.  The data in `~/News/marks' has priority
|      over the same data in `~/.newsrc.eld'.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--