From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: trailing spaces in signed mails
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 02:23:07 +0100	[thread overview]

Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> After the release of gnupg 1.4.0 a lot of people complained that they
> were not able to verify my signature anymore.  The reason for this is
> due to a change in OpenPGP and thus gpg to not strip trailing white
> spaces anymore for signing.  PGP/MIME (rfc 3156) defines rules on how
> to protect against this problem (most PGG and OpenPGP implementations
> did it differently in the past) but these rules are not follwed by
> mml2015.  In particular, rfc 3156 states:
>
>    Additionally, implementations MUST make sure that no trailing
>    whitespace is present after the MIME encoding has been applied.
>
> the example given also states:
>
>       & Also, in some cases it might be desirable to encode any   =20
>       & trailing whitespace that occurs on lines in order to ensure  =20
>       & that the message signature is not invalidated when passing =20
>       & a gateway that modifies such whitespace (like BITNET). =20

Thanks, I believe I have fixed this in CVS, in both branches.

> This message is signed and the "-- " before the signature lines should
> have been send as "--=20".  I suggest to convert the last of a run of
> trailing spaces to QP.  My Gnus version is v5.10.6.

As you can see in this message, it will now be sent as =2D-=20.  If
Gnus were to translate it into '--=20', I think an OpenPGP
implementation would dash escape it, and '- --=20' would be sent,
which would be less cut'n'paste compatible with RFC 1991 (which
doesn't mention dash escaping).  Is this acceptable to you?