* C-c C-f and MIME
@ 2001-08-15 13:17 Simon Josefsson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-08-15 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to forward a message inline as text, without any MIME at all. How?

C-u 1 C-c C-f below seem to be what I want, but if the article I'm
forwarding contains multiparts, some mml code is inserted and the
resulting mail will contain multiparts.  I can't find any combination of
prefix args or `message-forward-as-mime', `message-forward-show-mml'
settings that does what I want. Is it a bug in ARG 1 or do we really want
yet another prefix arg to C-c C-f to forward decoded articles without
MIME?

C-c C-f runs the command gnus-summary-mail-forward
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-msg'.
(gnus-summary-mail-forward &optional ARG POST)

Forward the current message to another user.
If ARG is nil, see `message-forward-as-mime' and
`message-forward-show-mml';
if ARG is 1, decode the message and forward directly inline;
if ARG is 2, forward message as an rfc822 MIME section;
if ARG is 3, decode message and forward as an rfc822 MIME section;
if ARG is 4, forward message directly inline;
otherwise, use flipped `message-forward-as-mime'.
If POST, post instead of mail.

* Re: C-c C-f and MIME
@ 2001-08-15 14:57 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-15 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I want to forward a message inline as text, without any MIME at all. How?

Does C-u 4 C-c C-f do what you want?  The description looks like it
might be what you want.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: C-c C-f and MIME
@ 2001-08-15 15:03 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 2001-08-15 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>  on Wed, 15 Aug 2001
| I want to forward a message inline as text, without any MIME at all. How?

`C-c C-f', then remove the mml tags manually.
--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ of skin.

* Re: C-c C-f and MIME
@ 2001-08-15 16:37   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-08-15 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> I want to forward a message inline as text, without any MIME at all. How?
>
> Does C-u 4 C-c C-f do what you want?  The description looks like it
> might be what you want.

No, with ARG 4 I see multipart MIME headers.  What I would want would
be to decode and inline all MIME parts and then forward it.  Much like
taking the content of *Article* buffer and forwarding that.

* Re: C-c C-f and MIME
@ 2001-08-15 17:30 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-08-15 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I want to forward a message inline as text, without any MIME at all. How?
>
> C-u 1 C-c C-f below seem to be what I want, but if the article I'm
> forwarding contains multiparts, some mml code is inserted and the
> resulting mail will contain multiparts.  I can't find any combination of
> prefix args or `message-forward-as-mime', `message-forward-show-mml'
> settings that does what I want. Is it a bug in ARG 1 or do we really want
> yet another prefix arg to C-c C-f to forward decoded articles without
> MIME?

In this case, ARG 1 is not so useful.  The problem is how to present
the MIME parts in a plain text message. Only the content of the
article buffer?  Thoughts?

ShengHuo

* Re: C-c C-f and MIME
@ 2001-08-15 17:51     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-15 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> No, with ARG 4 I see multipart MIME headers.  What I would want would
> be to decode and inline all MIME parts and then forward it.  Much like
> taking the content of *Article* buffer and forwarding that.

Ah.  So, `m M-> M-x insert-buffer RET *Article* RET' does what you
want?

kai
--

@ 2001-08-15 18:11       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-08-15 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> No, with ARG 4 I see multipart MIME headers.  What I would want would
>> be to decode and inline all MIME parts and then forward it.  Much like
>> taking the content of *Article* buffer and forwarding that.
>
> Ah.  So, `m M-> M-x insert-buffer RET *Article* RET' does what you
> want?

It should inline all MIME parts and insert delimiters as well.  I
could probably come up with something to put in my .emacs, but maybe
Gnus should provide this.

* Re: C-c C-f and MIME
@ 2001-08-15 18:21   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-08-15 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> I want to forward a message inline as text, without any MIME at all. How?
>>
>> C-u 1 C-c C-f below seem to be what I want, but if the article I'm
>> forwarding contains multiparts, some mml code is inserted and the
>> resulting mail will contain multiparts.  I can't find any combination of
>> prefix args or `message-forward-as-mime', `message-forward-show-mml'
>> settings that does what I want. Is it a bug in ARG 1 or do we really want
>> yet another prefix arg to C-c C-f to forward decoded articles without
>> MIME?
>
> In this case, ARG 1 is not so useful.  The problem is how to present
> the MIME parts in a plain text message. Only the content of the
> article buffer?  Thoughts?

Yes, the contents of the article buffer would be OK (if it inlined all
unexpanded parts first).  Without MIME buttons, or the security
buttons, preferably.

Which reminds me of an older discussion -- about the PGP/SMIME
buttons.  I kind of agree that they take up too much screen space in
the *Article* buffer.  Maybe we could use the Emacs 21 fringe for
this?  It could indicate which lines of the message were
encrypted/signed (using black/red/green to indicate unknown/bad/good
status?).  Dunno about XEmacs though.