* Dormant and ticked not independent in nnimap?
@ 2001-07-04  8:08 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-04  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have tried to make dormant marks be per-user on our old Cyrus 1.6.x
IMAP server.  To this end, I use this Lisp code:

  (setcdr (assq 'dormant nnimap-mark-to-flag-alist)
          (format "gnus-dormant-%s" (user-login-name)))
  (setcdr (assq 'dormant nnimap-mark-to-predicate-alist)
          (format "KEYWORD gnus-dormant-%s" (user-login-name)))

Alas, it seems if user A marks a message as dormant, then user B sees
it as ticked!

It appears that nnimap also marks a message \Flagged in addition to
gnus-dormant-jrl.

Is there anything I can do about this?  Or do I have to wait for Cyrus
2.x to get per-user article marks?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Dormant and ticked not independent in nnimap?
@ 2001-07-04  9:32 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-07-04  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I have tried to make dormant marks be per-user on our old Cyrus 1.6.x
> IMAP server.  To this end, I use this Lisp code:
>
>   (setcdr (assq 'dormant nnimap-mark-to-flag-alist)
>           (format "gnus-dormant-%s" (user-login-name)))
>   (setcdr (assq 'dormant nnimap-mark-to-predicate-alist)
>           (format "KEYWORD gnus-dormant-%s" (user-login-name)))
>
> Alas, it seems if user A marks a message as dormant, then user B sees
> it as ticked!

Yes, uhm, nnimap translates "dormant" into \Flagged + gnus-dormant.
This is so the article "stand out" when you're using some other IMAP
client.

The flag is added at line ~943, and removed internally at line ~910.
It should be easy to comment this two parts out.  Maybe I should make
this conditional, so you can disable this behaviour?

Btw, very interesting idea!  This is a nice way to get user-specific
flags without server support for the idea.  It might even be possible
to extend to all flag (i.e. different set of Read-flags for different
users).

> Is there anything I can do about this?  Or do I have to wait for Cyrus
> 2.x to get per-user article marks?

I'm not sure if even Cyrus 2.x helps.  \Read and maybe some other are
user-specific, but I don't think \Flagged etc are.  But I maybe wrong.

* Re: Dormant and ticked not independent in nnimap?
@ 2001-07-04 10:13   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-04 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 04 Jul 2001, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Yes, uhm, nnimap translates "dormant" into \Flagged + gnus-dormant.
> This is so the article "stand out" when you're using some other IMAP
> client.
>
> The flag is added at line ~943, and removed internally at line ~910.
> It should be easy to comment this two parts out.  Maybe I should
> make this conditional, so you can disable this behaviour?

If you would do that, that would be wonderful.

> Btw, very interesting idea!  This is a nice way to get user-specific
> flags without server support for the idea.  It might even be
> possible to extend to all flag (i.e. different set of Read-flags for
> different users).

Could be.  Never thought about that.  Might be useful in some
circumstances.

>> Is there anything I can do about this?  Or do I have to wait for
>> Cyrus 2.x to get per-user article marks?
>
> I'm not sure if even Cyrus 2.x helps.  \Read and maybe some other
> are user-specific, but I don't think \Flagged etc are.  But I maybe
> wrong.

Well, \Read is user-specific even in the old 1.6.x.  Since I don't
really have 2.x yet, I'm not _sure_ which ones will be user-specific
then.

kai
--

@ 2001-07-04 17:44     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-07-04 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> It should be easy to comment this two parts out.  Maybe I should
>> make this conditional, so you can disable this behaviour?
>
> If you would do that, that would be wonderful.

See `nnimap-importantize-dormant'.