From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: ngnus and encrypted UTF-8 mails
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:09:56 +0200	[thread overview]

Jochen Hein <jochen@jochen.org> writes:

> [Do you have a valid GnuPG key?  All I find is expired keys]

It should be on various key servers.  Otherwise, look at my OpenPGP:
header for the URL to my key.  If you use a recent Gnus, you should be
able to click on the URL and the key will be retrieved and imported.

>> I'm not sure what "pgp-mail sencrypt in my BBDB address book" implies?
>
> This tells Gnus to encrypt outgoing mail to that recipient.  And
> sencrypt works ok with older Gnus versions (except umlauts), but
> encrypt doesn't.

How does it achieve this?  Does it only insert the appropriate MML
tags, and nothing else?

>> Vanilla PGP or PGP/MIME?
>
> This mail should be in Vanilla PGP, as the mails I have problems with.

In general, how do your receivers expect non-ASCII vanilla PGP to look
like?  QP processing before, after, or before+after?  Or something
else?  I'm not aware of any agreed on standard for this.

>> Vanilla PGP
>> works badly with non-ASCII, so it is difficult to make it work
>> properly (although we should make a best effort).  Can you quote the
>> *mail* buffer (with MML tags)
>
> No MML tags.

I meant the *message* buffer.

>> and then the contents of a C-u C-c C-m
>> P?

That wasn't PGP signed... did you manually change the MML tag

> | < # p a r t encrypt=pgp>

?  Please keep it as is, so I see exactly how the entire message looks
like.

> Umlaut test line
> ä ae
> ö oe
> ü ue
> ß sz
> Ä Ae
> Ö Oe
> Ü Ue

I'm signing this post, so you can see how it looks like for me.
Perhaps the mailing list software will destroy the signature
though...  I recall it did that before.

> The problem might be that I use UTF-8 as my default character
> encoding.  The recipients still use iso-8859-15.  One ngnus gets
> released, I might change the recieving systems to a newer gnus.

The outgoing messages should still be encoded properly.  I'm using
UTF-8 as the default character set as well, but as you can see it
downgrades to ISO-8859-1 for this messages since that is more widely
used.