* Re: ngnus and encrypted UTF-8 mails
       [not found] <87r7hblp4f.fsf@echidna.jochen.org>
@ 2005-04-18 16:11 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-04-18 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jochen Hein <jochen@jochen.org> writes:

> [Quoted text removed due to X-No-Archive]

I'm not sure what "pgp-mail sencrypt in my BBDB address book" implies?
Are you using the MML PGP tags?  Vanilla PGP or PGP/MIME?  Vanilla PGP
works badly with non-ASCII, so it is difficult to make it work
properly (although we should make a best effort).  Can you quote the
*mail* buffer (with MML tags) and then the contents of a C-u C-c C-m
P?

* Re: ngnus and encrypted UTF-8 mails
@ 2005-04-18 19:43   ` Jochen Hein
From: Jochen Hein @ 2005-04-18 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[Do you have a valid GnuPG key?  All I find is expired keys]

> Jochen Hein <jochen@jochen.org> writes:
>
>> [Quoted text removed due to X-No-Archive]
>
> I'm not sure what "pgp-mail sencrypt in my BBDB address book" implies?

This tells Gnus to encrypt outgoing mail to that recipient.  And
sencrypt works ok with older Gnus versions (except umlauts), but
encrypt doesn't.

> Are you using the MML PGP tags?

Yes.

> Vanilla PGP or PGP/MIME?

This mail should be in Vanilla PGP, as the mails I have problems with.

> Vanilla PGP
> works badly with non-ASCII, so it is difficult to make it work
> properly (although we should make a best effort).  Can you quote the
> *mail* buffer (with MML tags)

No MML tags.

,---- *mail* buffer
| From: Jochen Hein <jochen@jochen.org>
| To: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
| Subject: Re: ngnus and encrypted UTF-8 mails
| Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:33:00 +0200
|
| < # p a r t encrypt=pgp>
| Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
|
| > Jochen Hein <jochen@jochen.org> writes:
| >
| >> [Quoted text removed due to X-No-Archive]
| >
| > I'm not sure what "pgp-mail sencrypt in my BBDB address book" implies?
|
| This tells Gnus to encrypt outgoing mail to that recipient.  And
| sencrypt works ok with older Gnus versions (except umlauts), but
| encrypt doesn't.
|
| > Are you using the MML PGP tags?
|
| No.
|
| > Vanilla PGP or PGP/MIME?
|
| This mail should be in Vanilla PGP, as the mails I have problems with.
|
| > Vanilla PGP
| > works badly with non-ASCII, so it is difficult to make it work
| > properly (although we should make a best effort).  Can you quote the
| > *mail* buffer (with MML tags)
|
| No MML tags.
|
| > and then the contents of a C-u C-c C-m
| > P?
| >

| --
| #include <~/.signature>: permission denied
`----

Umlaut test line
ä ae
ö oe
ü ue
ß sz
Ä Ae
Ö Oe
Ü Ue

The problem might be that I use UTF-8 as my default character
encoding.  The recipients still use iso-8859-15.  One ngnus gets
released, I might change the recieving systems to a newer gnus.

Jochen

--

@ 2005-04-18 21:09     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-04-18 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jochen Hein <jochen@jochen.org> writes:

> [Do you have a valid GnuPG key?  All I find is expired keys]

It should be on various key servers.  Otherwise, look at my OpenPGP:
header for the URL to my key.  If you use a recent Gnus, you should be
able to click on the URL and the key will be retrieved and imported.

>> I'm not sure what "pgp-mail sencrypt in my BBDB address book" implies?
>
> This tells Gnus to encrypt outgoing mail to that recipient.  And
> sencrypt works ok with older Gnus versions (except umlauts), but
> encrypt doesn't.

How does it achieve this?  Does it only insert the appropriate MML
tags, and nothing else?

>> Vanilla PGP or PGP/MIME?
>
> This mail should be in Vanilla PGP, as the mails I have problems with.

In general, how do your receivers expect non-ASCII vanilla PGP to look
like?  QP processing before, after, or before+after?  Or something
else?  I'm not aware of any agreed on standard for this.

>> Vanilla PGP
>> works badly with non-ASCII, so it is difficult to make it work
>> properly (although we should make a best effort).  Can you quote the
>> *mail* buffer (with MML tags)
>
> No MML tags.

I meant the *message* buffer.

>> and then the contents of a C-u C-c C-m
>> P?

That wasn't PGP signed... did you manually change the MML tag

> | < # p a r t encrypt=pgp>

?  Please keep it as is, so I see exactly how the entire message looks
like.

> Umlaut test line
> ä ae
> ö oe
> ü ue
> ß sz
> Ä Ae
> Ö Oe
> Ü Ue

I'm signing this post, so you can see how it looks like for me.
Perhaps the mailing list software will destroy the signature
though...  I recall it did that before.

> The problem might be that I use UTF-8 as my default character
> encoding.  The recipients still use iso-8859-15.  One ngnus gets
> released, I might change the recieving systems to a newer gnus.

The outgoing messages should still be encoded properly.  I'm using
UTF-8 as the default character set as well, but as you can see it
downgrades to ISO-8859-1 for this messages since that is more widely
used.