From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Subject: Re: problems with nnimap
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:43:35 +0200	[thread overview]

David Edmondson <dme@dme.org> writes:

> * kevin.greiner@vignette.com [2004-09-14 03:54:23]
>> > - gnus and the imapd doesnt have the same view of which messages are
>> >   in my inbox. How can I sync them again? Preferrably without loosing
>> >   my marks and so on if possible.
>>
>> As a test, open the server buffer then turn off the agent for your
>> nnimap server.  Then open the summary buffer to see if all is well.
>> If that clears up the problem, then the agent's local cache is out
>> of sync with your nnimap server.  As a fix, locate and delete the
>> agent's .overview file for this mail box.
>
> I use two different machines with different home directories but the
> same gnus configuration (i.e. same IMAP servers, etc.).  With the
> agent enabled it seems impossible to have either of the machines note
> any changes to an IMAP folder made by the other machine.  In effect I
> have to delete the agent .overview files each time I sit down at a
> machine.
>
> Is this the way it is supposed to be?

Probably not.  What files are shared between your machines?  If you
share some of Gnus' files, you might have to share all of them.  Best
is to not share anything, except possibly ~/.emacs and ~/.gnus.

And this isn't just the documented problem with the *Group* buffer
unread count being an estimate?