* status of smtp authentication?
@ 2004-11-25  1:30 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2004-11-25  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

What's the current status of smtp authentication in cvs gnus?  My
employer has recently instituted authentication and I haven't been
able to get cvs gnus to do it.

Last I heard (a few months ago), a file needed to be patched and other
gyrations needed to be performed to handle authentication.

Thanks -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@mchsi.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No, ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: status of smtp authentication?
@ 2004-11-25  2:14 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-11-25  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> What's the current status of smtp authentication in cvs gnus?  My
> employer has recently instituted authentication and I haven't been
> able to get cvs gnus to do it.

> Last I heard (a few months ago), a file needed to be patched and other
> gyrations needed to be performed to handle authentication.

There's no necessity to modify any Lisp modules since 2002-05-09
if you are using Emacs CVS.  See the beginning of the smtpmail.el
file, which can be found in the /some.where/21.3.50/lisp/mail/
directory.  My setting is similar to the following:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.jpl.org")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "jpl.org")
(setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "jpl.org")
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(("mail.jpl.org" 25 "yamaoka" "password")))
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
      '(("mail.jpl.org" 25 nil nil)))

Don't set `smtpmail-starttls-credentials' if you don't have the
external starttls program.

* Re: status of smtp authentication?
@ 2004-11-25  3:00   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2004-11-25  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On the Memorial of Saint Andrew Dung-Lac and his companions, A. D. 2004, at 20:14, Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> said:

>> What's the current status of smtp authentication in cvs gnus?  My
>> employer has recently instituted authentication and I haven't been
>> able to get cvs gnus to do it.
>
>> Last I heard (a few months ago), a file needed to be patched and
>> other gyrations needed to be performed to handle authentication.
>
> There's no necessity to modify any Lisp modules since 2002-05-09 if
> you are using Emacs CVS.  See the beginning of the smtpmail.el file,
> which can be found in the /some.where/21.3.50/lisp/mail/ directory.
> My setting is similar to the following:

Thank you for your swift reply and your setup hints.  I am using emacs
from cvs.  I'll get everything updated & compiled and make a fresh
try.

bw
--

@ 2004-11-25  5:01   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2004-11-25  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed Nov 24 2004 at 20:14, Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> said:

>> What's the current status of smtp authentication in cvs gnus?  My
>> employer has recently instituted authentication and I haven't been
>> able to get cvs gnus to do it.
>
>> Last I heard (a few months ago), a file needed to be patched and other
>> gyrations needed to be performed to handle authentication.
>
> There's no necessity to modify any Lisp modules since 2002-05-09
> if you are using Emacs CVS.  See the beginning of the smtpmail.el
> file, which can be found in the /some.where/21.3.50/lisp/mail/
> directory.  My setting is similar to the following:
>
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.jpl.org")
> (setq smtpmail-local-domain "jpl.org")
> (setq smtpmail-sendto-domain "jpl.org")
> (setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>       '(("mail.jpl.org" 25 "yamaoka" "password")))
> (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
>       '(("mail.jpl.org" 25 nil nil)))

I've tried this with my information to no avail.  I can send mail to
addresses within my employer's domain (as before), but not outside it.
Does it matter that our mail clients are required to use SSL to
authenticate?  Would I need some extra settings to handle that?

The relevant error from my SMTP trace is:

550 5.7.1 <billw@mchsi.com>... Relaying denied. Proper authentication required.

Thanks -

bw
--

@ 2004-11-25  5:30     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-11-25  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I've tried this with my information to no avail.  I can send mail to
> addresses within my employer's domain (as before), but not outside it.
> Does it matter that our mail clients are required to use SSL to
> authenticate?  Would I need some extra settings to handle that?

> The relevant error from my SMTP trace is:

> 550 5.7.1 <billw@mchsi.com>... Relaying denied. Proper authentication required.

Sending the EHLO command may show a hint.  To do that, connect
to the port 25 of the smtp server using telnet, and type:

EHLO hostname
(where `hostname' should be replaced with the name of your host)

and then:

QUIT

Here's a session I logged:

bash-2.05a$ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-mail.example.com ESMTP Exim 4.42 #1 Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:23:32 -0500
220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
220 and/or bulk e-mail.
EHLO localhost
250-mail.example.com Hello localhost [127.0.0.1]
250-SIZE 52428800
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP
QUIT
221 mail.example.com closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

This server supports `AUTH PLAIN LOGIN' and `STARTTLS'.  I'm
sorry I don't know how to deal with protocols other than them.

* Re: status of smtp authentication?
@ 2004-11-25 13:16     ` David Edmondson
From: David Edmondson @ 2004-11-25 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

* billw@mchsi.com [2004-11-25 05:01:26]
> I've tried this with my information to no avail.  I can send mail to
> addresses within my employer's domain (as before), but not outside
> it.  Does it matter that our mail clients are required to use SSL to
> authenticate?  Would I need some extra settings to handle that?

This is the case where you need the "starttls" binary, I believe.  It
manages the transition from clear-text protocol exchange to SSL
encrypted exchange.

The version of starttls.c I have came from:
    % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root login
    CVS password: [CR] # NULL string
    % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root checkout starttls

dme.

* Re: status of smtp authentication?
@ 2004-11-25 14:02       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-11-25 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Edmondson <dme@dme.org> writes:

> * billw@mchsi.com [2004-11-25 05:01:26]
>> I've tried this with my information to no avail.  I can send mail to
>> addresses within my employer's domain (as before), but not outside
>> it.  Does it matter that our mail clients are required to use SSL to
>> authenticate?  Would I need some extra settings to handle that?
>
> This is the case where you need the "starttls" binary, I believe.  It
> manages the transition from clear-text protocol exchange to SSL
> encrypted exchange.
>
> The version of starttls.c I have came from:
>     % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root login
>     CVS password: [CR] # NULL string
>     % cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.m17n.org:/cvs/root checkout starttls

Installing GnuTLS should also work.  I recommended it over starttls.