* Re: mail-extr.el brokenness
       [not found] <m2bs9qzb31.fsf@tnuctip.rychter.com>
@ 2002-07-02 18:35 ` Josh Huber
       [not found]   ` <m2vg7xx4h6.fsf@tnuctip.rychter.com>
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-07-02 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> writes:

> Are there plans to work on mail-extr, rewrite it, maybe replace it
> with something else?

I went through this a few weeks ago wrt bbdb not working with Kai's
newly encoded latin-9 name.

> Any useful advice?

Well, the conclusion we came to was that mail-extr should *not* have
to deal with 8 bit characters, since 8 bit characters are not allowed
in message headers.

What should be done is:

1) extract the header contents with mail-extr functions from the raw
   message
2) decode any encoded header contents
3) use (for bbdb, etc...)

Does this make sense?  Are you having these problems when dealing with
bbdb, or something else?

ttyl,

--
Josh Huber

@ 2002-07-02 18:52 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-07-02 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> writes:

> Maybe this isn't very closely related to gnus, but mail-extr.el seems to
> be broken with respect to characters from ISO-8859-2 (and possibly many
> other character sets).

When do you see these problems?  As Josh said, I don't think mail-extr
ever should see non-ASCII, it wasn't built for it.  The \200-\376
ranges are probably not a good idea, but worked for latin-1 people in
the dark ages before MIME.

> My temporary workaround was to change them to include some ISO-8859-2
> characters used in Polish:
>
>   (defconst mail-extr-all-letters-but-separators
>     (purecopy "][A-Za-z{|}'~0-9`\200-\376ąćęółńśżźĄĆĘÓŁŃŚŻŹ"))

This means you receive 8bit in headers, doesn't it?  Do you?  That's
bad.

* Re: mail-extr.el brokenness
       [not found]   ` <m2vg7xx4h6.fsf@tnuctip.rychter.com>
@ 2002-07-02 20:46     ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-07-02 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> writes:

> Oops, sorry. I was unsubscribed from the ding mailing list for quite
> a while (some years) and I resubscribe recently and missed that
> thread. I'll dig it up in the archives.

I also brought it up on the xemacs-beta list, here's the root of the
thread:

http://list-archive.xemacs.org/xemacs-beta/200206/msg00130.html

> Ok, it does make sense. I'll just have to hunt down the thing that
> rfc2047-decodes my headers before supercite gets its say.

Okay.  I'd like to fix this for BBDB as well, so post anything you
find.  I think I know what I'm going to do, but I just don't have the
time to look at it right now.

ttyl,

--
Josh Huber