* SMTP + SSL with gnus 5.10
@ 2004-07-05 22:43 Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2004-07-05 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all !

My company is migrating to an SSL-ized and authenticated SMTP, and
Gnus doesn't seem to manage this by default.

I found very old patches like
http://list-archive.xemacs.org/xemacs-patches/200011/msg00007.html
on the net, but nothing that I could apply to my version of
smtpmail.el

Anyone have a more recent version? Are there plans to include this in
Gnus?

Thanks for your answers,

--
Matthieu

* Re: SMTP + SSL with gnus 5.10
@ 2004-07-06  6:04 ` Alex Ott
From: Alex Ott @ 2004-07-06  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

 MM> Hi all !  My company is migrating to an SSL-ized and authenticated
 MM> SMTP, and Gnus doesn't seem to manage this by default.

 MM> I found very old patches like
 MM> http://list-archive.xemacs.org/xemacs-patches/200011/msg00007.html on
 MM> the net, but nothing that I could apply to my version of smtpmail.el

 MM> Anyone have a more recent version? Are there plans to include this in
 MM> Gnus?

SMTP auth supported by last version of smtpmail.el from GNU Emacs cvs. For
me it works fine

--
With best wishes, Alex Ott
Jet Infosystems,       http://www.jetinfosoft.ru/

* Re: SMTP + SSL with gnus 5.10
@ 2004-07-06  8:51   ` A.J. Rossini
From: A.J. Rossini @ 2004-07-06  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Alex Ott <ott@jet.msk.su> writes:

>  MM> Hi all !  My company is migrating to an SSL-ized and authenticated
>  MM> SMTP, and Gnus doesn't seem to manage this by default.
>
>  MM> I found very old patches like
>  MM> http://list-archive.xemacs.org/xemacs-patches/200011/msg00007.html on
>  MM> the net, but nothing that I could apply to my version of smtpmail.el
>
>  MM> Anyone have a more recent version? Are there plans to include this in
>  MM> Gnus?
>
> SMTP auth supported by last version of smtpmail.el from GNU Emacs cvs. For
> me it works fine

I have it working for the latest Emacs + released gnus (not CVS).  It
was a bit of a pain to setup until I realized my folly.  I didn't get
it working under XEmacs, though (again, everything at the "released"
stage).

--
Anthony Rossini			    Research Associate Professor
rossini@u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may be
confidential and privileged. If you received this message in error,
please destroy it and notify the sender. Thank you.

* Re: SMTP + SSL with gnus 5.10
@ 2004-07-06 11:36     ` Matthieu MOY
From: Matthieu MOY @ 2004-07-06 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alex Ott, ding

Quoting "A.J. Rossini" <rossini@blindglobe.net>:

> I have it working for the latest Emacs + released gnus (not CVS).  It
> was a bit of a pain to setup until I realized my folly.

Can I have hints on what you did ?

(I've posted a link about an xemacs patch because that's what I found on the
net, but I'm using GNU Emacs 21.2).

I've tried installing smtpmail.el and starttls.el from CVS Emacs on my 21.2
Emacs, I've installed starttls too, and now, all I'm able to get is :

Process SMTP segmentation Fault (core dumped)
220 mail1.cro.st.com ESMTP Mirapoint 3.3.6-GR; Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:33:28 +0200 (CEST)

EHLO crx753.st.com

250-mail1.cro.st.com Hello crx753.cro.st.com [164.129.45.53], pleased to meet you

250-8BITMIME

250-SIZE 13500000

250-DSN

250-ETRN

250-STARTTLS

250 HELP

STARTTLS

220 Go ahead

EHLO crx753.st.com

HELO crx753.st.com

QUIT

:-(

--
Matthieu

envoyé via Webmail/IMAG !

* Re: SMTP + SSL with gnus 5.10
@ 2004-07-06 11:47       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-07-06 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthieu MOY <Matthieu.Moy@imag.fr> writes:

> Quoting "A.J. Rossini" <rossini@blindglobe.net>:
>
>> I have it working for the latest Emacs + released gnus (not CVS).  It
>> was a bit of a pain to setup until I realized my folly.
>
> Can I have hints on what you did ?
>
> (I've posted a link about an xemacs patch because that's what I found on the
> net, but I'm using GNU Emacs 21.2).
>
> I've tried installing smtpmail.el and starttls.el from CVS Emacs on my 21.2
> Emacs, I've installed starttls too, and now, all I'm able to get is :
>

> Process SMTP segmentation Fault (core dumped)

Looks like starttls crashes.

Try removing starttls and installing GNUTLS instead.  Then smtpmail.el
will use it instead.