* gnus-header-face-alist default value bug?
@ 2003-08-06  0:13 Chunyu Wang
From: Chunyu Wang @ 2003-08-06  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have set the gnus-header-newsgroups-face by M-x customize, But emacs
doesn't display correctly. So I changed the source as the following,
then it works. Is this a mistake?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/x-patch, Size: 776 bytes --]

*** /home/spr/work/gnus/lisp/gnus-art.el        Thu Jul 10 13:01:09 2003
--- /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus/gnus-art.el   Mon Aug  4
20:55:05 2003
***************
*** 660,666 ****
  (defcustom gnus-header-face-alist
    '(("From" nil gnus-header-from-face)
      ("Subject" nil gnus-header-subject-face)
!     ("Newsgroups:.*," nil gnus-header-newsgroups-face)
      ("" gnus-header-name-face gnus-header-content-face))
    "*Controls highlighting of article header.

--- 660,666 ----
  (defcustom gnus-header-face-alist
    '(("From" nil gnus-header-from-face)
      ("Subject" nil gnus-header-subject-face)
!     ("Newsgroups" nil gnus-header-newsgroups-face)
      ("" gnus-header-name-face gnus-header-content-face))
    "*Controls highlighting of article header.

Harbin Institute of Technology, China.
Wang Chunyu <spr@db.cs.hit.edu.cn>.

* Re: gnus-header-face-alist default value bug?
@ 2003-08-06  0:52 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-08-06  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chunyu Wang <spr@db.cs.hit.edu.cn> writes:

> I have set the gnus-header-newsgroups-face by M-x customize, But emacs
> doesn't display correctly. So I changed the source as the following,
> then it works. Is this a mistake?

Your patch looks correct.  I've commited it, thanks.

* Re: gnus-header-face-alist default value bug?
@ 2003-08-06  1:24   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2003-08-06  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Chunyu Wang <spr@db.cs.hit.edu.cn> writes:

>> I have set the gnus-header-newsgroups-face by M-x customize, But emacs
>> doesn't display correctly. So I changed the source as the following,
>> then it works. Is this a mistake?

> Your patch looks correct.  I've commited it, thanks.

I don't think so.  Doesn't the original regexp intend to
distinguish a cross-post and a single-post?
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: gnus-header-face-alist default value bug?
@ 2003-08-06  1:39     ` Chunyu Wang
From: Chunyu Wang @ 2003-08-06  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    >>  Chunyu Wang <spr@db.cs.hit.edu.cn> writes:

    >>>  I have set the gnus-header-newsgroups-face by M-x customize, But emacs
    >>>  doesn't display correctly. So I changed the source as the following,
    >>>  then it works. Is this a mistake?

    >>  Your patch looks correct.  I've commited it, thanks.

    Katsumi> I don't think so.  Doesn't the original regexp intend to
    Katsumi> distinguish a cross-post and a single-post?

    The origional works with cross-post, but with single-post it
    doesn't. Now both ok.

--

@ 2003-08-06  1:41 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-08-06  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Chunyu Wang <spr@db.cs.hit.edu.cn> writes:

> I have set the gnus-header-newsgroups-face by M-x customize, But emacs
> doesn't display correctly. So I changed the source as the following,
> then it works. Is this a mistake?
>
> *** /home/spr/work/gnus/lisp/gnus-art.el        Thu Jul 10 13:01:09 2003
> --- /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus/gnus-art.el   Mon Aug  4
> 20:55:05 2003
> ***************
> *** 660,666 ****
>   (defcustom gnus-header-face-alist
>     '(("From" nil gnus-header-from-face)
>       ("Subject" nil gnus-header-subject-face)
> !     ("Newsgroups:.*," nil gnus-header-newsgroups-face)
>       ("" gnus-header-name-face gnus-header-content-face))
>     "*Controls highlighting of article header.
>
> --- 660,666 ----
>   (defcustom gnus-header-face-alist
>     '(("From" nil gnus-header-from-face)
>       ("Subject" nil gnus-header-subject-face)
> !     ("Newsgroups" nil gnus-header-newsgroups-face)
>       ("" gnus-header-name-face gnus-header-content-face))
>     "*Controls highlighting of article header.

I think the intention was that Newsgroups: headers only need to be
highlighted when they contain groups other than the current group,
i.e. for crossposts.  Various docstrings didn't reflect this, so your
patch is probably just as good as a patch that fixes the docstrings.

* Re: gnus-header-face-alist default value bug?
@ 2003-08-06  1:45     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-08-06  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> Chunyu Wang <spr@db.cs.hit.edu.cn> writes:
>
>>> I have set the gnus-header-newsgroups-face by M-x customize, But emacs
>>> doesn't display correctly. So I changed the source as the following,
>>> then it works. Is this a mistake?
>
>> Your patch looks correct.  I've commited it, thanks.
>
> I don't think so.  Doesn't the original regexp intend to
> distinguish a cross-post and a single-post?

Ah, you're probably right.  Maybe we should just improve the docstring
for `gnus-header-newsgroups-face' instead?

    Face used for displaying newsgroups headers.

Which is currently a bit confusing if it's only intended to apply to
crossposts.

* Re: gnus-header-face-alist default value bug?
@ 2003-08-06  1:46       ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2003-08-06  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Katsumi> I don't think so.  Doesn't the original regexp intend to
Katsumi> distinguish a cross-post and a single-post?

> The origional works with cross-post, but with single-post it
> doesn't. Now both ok.

You can make a new face for single-post and customize the
gnus-header-face-alist variable.  I am just doing so. :)
--

@ 2003-08-06  1:56         ` Chunyu Wang
From: Chunyu Wang @ 2003-08-06  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Katsumi>  I don't think so.  Doesn't the original regexp intend to
    Katsumi>  distinguish a cross-post and a single-post?

    >>  The origional works with cross-post, but with single-post it
    >>  doesn't. Now both ok.

    Katsumi> You can make a new face for single-post and customize the
    Katsumi> gnus-header-face-alist variable.  I am just doing so. :)

    Yes, now I use my own gnus-header-face-alist. But before this, I
    don't know why I can't change the display by M-x customize. So I
    searched it in the sources, and changed it, and found that it works.

--

@ 2003-08-07  0:33       ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-08-07  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>
>> I don't think so.  Doesn't the original regexp intend to
>> distinguish a cross-post and a single-post?
>
> Ah, you're probably right.  Maybe we should just improve the docstring
> for `gnus-header-newsgroups-face' instead?

OK, I think this makes most sense.  So I added an explanation to the
docstring instead.

* Re: gnus-header-face-alist default value bug?
@ 2003-08-07  0:51         ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2003-08-07  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

>> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>>
>>> I don't think so.  Doesn't the original regexp intend to
>>> distinguish a cross-post and a single-post?
>>
>> Ah, you're probably right.  Maybe we should just improve the docstring
>> for `gnus-header-newsgroups-face' instead?

> OK, I think this makes most sense.  So I added an explanation to the
> docstring instead.

Thanks.  It may be better that the default value is a showy
sample. :)
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>