* browse-url button following mangles commas in URLs
@ 1999-09-24 17:02 Neil Crellin
From: Neil Crellin @ 1999-09-24 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

When presented with a buttonized url in gnus such as the following:

<URL:http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,2340538,00.html>

if I click on the button, the URL is mangled with every comma replaced
by 2c like so:

<URL:http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/02c41532c23405382c00.html>

Now %2c in place of "," would be fine, but just 2c is no good.

Can anyone see where this is occuring, I found this too convoluted to
debug properly, sorry.

--
Neil Crellin <neilc@wallaby.cc>

* Re: browse-url button following mangles commas in URLs
@ 1999-09-25 10:09 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-25 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Neil Crellin <neilc@wallaby.cc> writes:

> When presented with a buttonized url in gnus such as the following:
>
> <URL:http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,2340538,00.html>
>
> if I click on the button, the URL is mangled with every comma replaced
> by 2c like so:
>
> <URL:http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/02c41532c23405382c00.html>
>
> Now %2c in place of "," would be fine, but just 2c is no good.

Huh.  Well, I think the place to look for the bug would be in
browse-url.  I don't think Gnus mangles the URLs before passing them
on...

* Re: browse-url button following mangles commas in URLs
@ 1999-09-25 11:57 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1999-09-25 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Neil Crellin <neilc@wallaby.cc> writes:

> When presented with a buttonized url in gnus such as the following:
>
> <URL:http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,2340538,00.html>
>
> if I click on the button, the URL is mangled with every comma replaced
> by 2c like so:
>
> <URL:http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/02c41532c23405382c00.html>
>
> Now %2c in place of "," would be fine, but just 2c is no good.
>
> Can anyone see where this is occuring, I found this too convoluted to
> debug properly, sorry.

The bug is fixed in Emacs 20.4. I believe the patch below would work
(stolen from gnu.emacs.bug). It's not a gnus problem.

*** browse-url.el       Mon Sep 13 10:54:56 1999
--- browse-url.el~      Fri Jun 19 18:02:11 1998
*** 700,706 ****
    ;; include at least commas; presumably also close parens.
    (while (string-match "[,)]" url)
      (setq url (replace-match
!              (format "%%%x" (string-to-char (match-string 0 url))) t t url)))
    (let* ((process-environment (browse-url-process-environment))
           (process (apply 'start-process
                        (concat "netscape " url) nil