* imap slowness
@ 2003-08-26 18:57 frederik
From: frederik @ 2003-08-26 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

(gnus-version is "Gnus v5.10.2")

I'm using nnimap and when I press 'g' in the group buffer, gnus
displays the message "Reading active file from work via nnimap..." for
about 75 seconds before updating the buffer. Here is my .gnus:

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnimap "work"
                (nnimap-address "webmail.overture.com")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX*"))
                (nnimap-request-list-method 'imap-mailbox-lsub)
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close 'never)
                (nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX")
                (nnimap-split-predicate "UNDELETED"))
        )

(setq message-default-headers
"Bcc: eatonf@overture.com
From: eatonf@overture.com

(setq nnimap-split-rule
      '(("INBOX.CM" "^To: .*\\(Change
      Management\\|ChangeManagement\\)")
        ("INBOX.BLOB" "^Subject: .*BLOB-")
        ("INBOX.SEARCH" "^Subject: .*SEARCH-")
        ))

As you can see, I'm restricting myself to "INBOX*" because there are a
lot of public folders on the imap folder which I don't care about.
Could this be causing the problem? How can I make nnimap usable?

Frederik

* Re: imap slowness
@ 2003-08-27  1:10 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-08-27  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

frederik@ugcs.caltech.edu writes:

> (gnus-version is "Gnus v5.10.2")
>
> I'm using nnimap and when I press 'g' in the group buffer, gnus
> displays the message "Reading active file from work via nnimap..." for
> about 75 seconds before updating the buffer. Here is my .gnus:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method
>       '(nnimap "work"
>                 (nnimap-address "webmail.overture.com")
>                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                 (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX*"))
>                 (nnimap-request-list-method 'imap-mailbox-lsub)
>                 (nnimap-expunge-on-close 'never)
>                 (nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX")
>                 (nnimap-split-predicate "UNDELETED"))
>         )
>
> (setq message-default-headers
> "Bcc: eatonf@overture.com
> From: eatonf@overture.com
>
> (setq nnimap-split-rule
>       '(("INBOX.CM" "^To: .*\\(Change
>       Management\\|ChangeManagement\\)")
>         ("INBOX.BLOB" "^Subject: .*BLOB-")
>         ("INBOX.SEARCH" "^Subject: .*SEARCH-")
>         ))
>
> As you can see, I'm restricting myself to "INBOX*" because there are a
> lot of public folders on the imap folder which I don't care about.
> Could this be causing the problem? How can I make nnimap usable?

Maybe (setq gnus-read-active-file nil) help?  Or maybe (setq
gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil) does?

Setting imap-log to non-nil and looking in *imap-log* could also give
leads to what is taking so long.