* couple of questions about servers and agent
@ 2002-07-08 13:16 NAGY Andras
From: NAGY Andras @ 2002-07-08 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here are the relevant parts of my configuration:

,----[ .gnus ]
`----

,----[ .newsrc.eld ]
| (setq gnus-server-alist '(("archive" nnml "mail")))
`----

Latest CVS Gnus.

And the questions:

In the Server buffer, why do {nntp:news} and {nnml:mail} appear twice?

My nntp:news backend became quite unstable recently, so I decided to
agentize it.  Pushed `J a' on it in the Server buffer, and while
online, used `J s' to fetch all unread articles into the cache.  Due
to the server being unstable, the downloading timed out, but the agent
displayed "Finished fetching articles into the Gnus agent", altough it
should have displayed some kind of error message, I believe.  I
decided to go on with the partially downloaded news.

After going offline, Gnus still tried `sometimes' to contact the
(unavailable) server.  May this be related to the server being listed
twice in the server buffer, but only one instance being marked as
`(agent)' ?  Actually, not even the partially downloaded groups were
readable offline.

I'm confused.  Is the Agent such non-robust, or am I doing something
wrong?

Andras