From: Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: IMAP + MIME + pGnus...
Date: 20 Apr 1999 16:50:46 +0200	[thread overview]

wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:

> Has any progress been made recently in allowing Gnus to delay
> retrieval of MIME parts?

I've played a little with it. One major problem seem to be to get it
to work together with caching, backlogs, prefetching, bookmarks etc.

> I was just pondering how to do this and thought that it would not be
> too hard to have nnimap spoof the delayed portions with a content
> type of application/x-gnus-external-imap with a location header that
> looks like a Netscape IMAP-ish URL.[1]

Yup. Another approach would be to make Gnus aware of MIME-capable
backends, ie a backend function that fetched the MIME structure of the
article, and then fetch the parts it want to display.

I'm not sure which approach create the least amount of trouble with
all caching stuff. OTOH I think the second approach is much closer to
the Right Thing, so perhaps one should try that first.

> Or if there is an `imap' URL standard somewhere, that would be even
> better.

RFC2192. This is what netscape uses, I think.

-s