* IMAP to Exchange hangs: NO Connect filed: server may be down or too busy to respond
@ 2006-01-31 18:20 Chris Shenton
From: Chris Shenton @ 2006-01-31 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been forced to use an Exchange server at work, and config Gnus to
access via IMAPS.  I had this working the past couple weeks but today
I can't retrieve mail reliably. I've got a bunch of folders and saved
mail there, maybe 200 folders and 300MB of mail.  I see it "Reading
active file...", and such for a while, then it hangs; after 30 minutes
or something it eventually says "IMAP process not running" or
something similar.

Here's what I see in the *imap-debug* buffer:

The last entries in *nnimap-debug* are:

1 -> nnimap-retrieve-groups: groups=("INBOX/in/shenton@hq"
"INBOX/list/wireless-eng@spinoza.public.hq.nasa.gov") server="hemi"
| 2 -> nnimap-possibly-change-server: server="hemi"
| 2 <- nnimap-possibly-change-server: " *nnimap* hemi"
| 2 -> nnimap-before-find-minmax-bugworkaround:
| 2 <- nnimap-before-find-minmax-bugworkaround: nil
| 2 -> nnimap-find-minmax-uid: group="INBOX/list/wireless-eng@spinoza.public.hq.nasa.gov" examine=examine

And that folder name is what it's displaying on the mode line while
it's hung.

Here's my server config:

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnimap "hemi"                ; use ~/.authinfo for user/passwd
               (nnimap-address "mail01.ndc.nasa.gov")
               (nnimap-stream ssl) ))

I'm using No Gnus v0.4 from December, and just tried with a version
slurped from CVS, same problem.

Any suggestions on what I can do here? If the problem is the server
complaining about overload, can Gnus recover from this status?

I'm not having problems reading from the same server with OS X Tiger's
Mail.app nor with Mozilla's Mail pane.

Thanks.