* Setting SSL certificate authority?
@ 2004-09-08 19:14 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2004-09-08 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've been connecting to my IMAP server with SSL, but the other day a
certificate expired and I had to turn SSL off.  My sysadmin has volunteered to
set up a local certificate authority so we can avoid buying new certificates.
That'd be secure enough for me if I knew how to tell Gnus to use that
authority.  Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: Setting SSL certificate authority?
@ 2004-09-08 21:01 ` Andrew A. Raines
From: Andrew A. Raines @ 2004-09-08 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> I've been connecting to my IMAP server with SSL, but the other day
> a certificate expired and I had to turn SSL off.  My sysadmin has
> volunteered to set up a local certificate authority so we can avoid
> buying new certificates.  That'd be secure enough for me if I knew
> how to tell Gnus to use that authority.  Can anyone help?

The Emacs minibuffer tells me `nnimap-stream ssl' is using openssl
s_client under the covers.  Can't you just add the CA cert to
/etc/ssl/certs or /usr/local/ssl/certs or whatever makes sense for
your OpenSSL installation?

--
    aaraines@pobox.com (Andrew A. Raines)

* Re: Setting SSL certificate authority?
@ 2004-09-09  9:44 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-09-09  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've been connecting to my IMAP server with SSL, but the other day a
> certificate expired and I had to turn SSL off.  My sysadmin has volunteered to
> set up a local certificate authority so we can avoid buying new certificates.
> That'd be secure enough for me if I knew how to tell Gnus to use that
> authority.  Can anyone help?

Do you use OpenSSL, starttls or GnuTLS?

GnuTLS is the recommend solution, if you use it: customize
`tls-program' and add a --x509cafile parameter pointing at the CA
file.

IIRC, OpenSSL and starttls doesn't quit on verification failures.
What went wrong when the certificate expired?