From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Subject: Re: Losing tickmarks in nnimap groups
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 23:01:54 +0200	[thread overview]

Chris Green <cmg@dok.org> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> I always run with `imap-log' enabled, so I can look at what happened
>> if something weird happens.  It might not help reproduce the problem,
>> but could give some hints to help pin point a pattern or something.
>
> I'm using Oort 5.10.6.  This message isn't flagged because I can't get
> gnus to display it no matter the value I pass to the group open
> function. I have a plugged agent doing imap over openssl and I think
> that's about the only notable gnus config.
>
> I've not included the output from the * 477 fetch commands.  If they
> are important to you, I can send them in private, I just don't want to
> sign up all my friends for spam :).
>
> I'm willing to try most commands and I can atleast plod at lisp but
> debugging this problem (it's not the first message to have that happen
> to ) is close to impossible for me without guidance. If I do an nnir
> search for flight, it does display.
>
> Maildir/cur/1081245048.27012_3.lilly:2,S
>
> Maildir/courierimapuiddb has
>
> 2173 1081245048.27012_3.lilly
>
> (2188 is the highest number I have right now so C-u 30 should pull
> that out )
>
> 0:nnimap+csoft:INBOX
> C-u 30 Enter
>
> This mail is flight information from my wife on where to pick up my
> mother in law... a really bad mail to have had problem with :)
>
> I have the imap.log for this from the C-u 30 Enter
>
> The only time I see 2173 as a UID in this log is on the initial search
> seen command.

So let me see if I understand the problem first: you press ! on the
article, it becomes ticked in the summary buffer, but when you press
'q' to save the tick mark, it doesn't work because when you re-enter
the group with C-u 30 enter (or just enter, which should display all
ticked articles) the article isn't marked as ticked.  Right?

The IMAP trace you showed indicate the server doesn't think the
article is ticked, so Gnus is simply displaying this information to
you.  So the interesting part would be if you can get the IMAP trace
starting when you press ! (followed by q), continuing through when you
and re-enter the group and notice the article isn't marked ticked any
more.  It sounds to me that either the flag setting procedure is buggy
in Gnus, or the server forget about flag.