»y) > > Wow, it works! Amazing! Hold your horses. For me, Jesper's UTF-8 message displayed as empty blocks, indicating I don't have the proper fonts, but I have all fonts in debian. Maybe Emacs just isn't able to find the proper one, which I believe is a known bug. And when I F it, as in this post, it display \346\227\245\346\234.... Let's see how it gets sent. Your GB2312 post displayed just fine, though. I'm using Emacs CVS in an UTF-8 locale. > When you do C-x C-f of a nonexisting file, then kill/yank the > Japanese line from the HELLO file there, then C-x RET f utf-8 RET, > then C-x C-s, what do you get? I got the same behaviour as you did.