From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Subject: IDNA support installed (was: Re: Oort Gnus v0.16 is released)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 23:56:36 +0100	[thread overview]

> As suggested (off the list), let's aim for a May 1st release date for
> Gnus 5.10.  Most things in Oort Gnus work, but if there is anything
> experimental going on in any parts of the code, or things that you
> absolutely want to have in the next Gnus release, try getting it in
> during the next couple of weeks.

I think it would be nice to have the IDNA support available.  It
shouldn't be noticable if libidn isn't installed on the system.  I
have added it to CVS.

I'd also like to move in the Elisp SASL Library too, but I haven't
been able to reach two of the copyright holders for a few months. :-(

** Support for non-ASCII domain names

Message supports non-ASCII domain names in From:, To: and Cc: and will
query you whether to perform encoding when you try to send a message.
The variable `message-use-idna' controls this.  Gnus will also decode
non-ASCII domain names in From:, To: and Cc: when you view a message.
The variable `gnus-use-idna' controls this.
---
2003-03-19  Simon Josefsson  <jas@extundo.com>

	* gnus-art.el (gnus-article-decode-hook): Add IDNA.
	(gnus-use-idna): New variable.
	(article-decode-idna-rhs): New function.

	* message.el (message-use-idna): New variable.
	(message-mode-field-menu): Add entry for IDNA.
	(message-idna-inside-rhs-p, message-idna-to-ascii-rhs-1)
	(message-idna-to-ascii-rhs): New function.
	(message-generate-headers): Invoke IDNA code.
---
IDNA
====

   Message is a IDNA-compliant posting agent.  The user generally
doesn't have to do anything to make the IDNA happen--Message will
encode non-ASCII domain names in `From', `To', and `Cc' headers
automatically.

   Until IDNA becomes more well known, Message queries you whether IDNA
encoding of the domain name really should occur.  Some users might not
be aware that domain names can contain non-ASCII now, so this gives
them a safety net if they accidently typed a non-ASCII domain name.

   The `message-use-idna' variable control whether IDNA is used.  If
the variable is NIL no IDNA encoding will ever happen, if it is set to
the symbol ASK the user will be queried (the default), and if set to T
IDNA encoding happens automatically.

   If you want to experiment with the IDNA encoding, you can invoke
`M-x message-idna-to-ascii-rhs RET' in the message buffer to have the
non-ASCII domain names encoded while you edit the message.

   Note that you must have GNU Libidn
(<http://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/> installed in order to use this
functionality.

---
`gnus-use-idna'
     This variable controls whether Gnus performs IDNA decoding of
     internationalized domain names inside FROM:, TO: and CC: headers.
     This requires GNU Libidn (<http://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/>,
     and this variable is only enabled if you have installed it.