* question about tunneling
@ 2004-10-29 15:36 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-10-29 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have the following tunnel script for an IMAP server:

#!/bin/sh

ssh HOST imapd | tee /tmp/imap-run

Two problems:

1) without the tee, the tunnel simply does not work.  I hope someone
   can tell me why :)

2) occasionally I'll get a disconnect "garbage" message that Gnus
   doesn't know how to handle.  Maybe that's related to (1).

This is a Courier IMAP server.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: question about tunneling
@ 2004-10-29 21:10 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-10-29 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I have the following tunnel script for an IMAP server:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> ssh HOST imapd | tee /tmp/imap-run
>
> Two problems:
>
> 1) without the tee, the tunnel simply does not work.  I hope someone
>    can tell me why :)

Maybe toggling imap-process-connection-type help?

> 2) occasionally I'll get a disconnect "garbage" message that Gnus
>    doesn't know how to handle.  Maybe that's related to (1).

Perhaps the parser is not robust when it come to non-IMAP protocol
behavior.  What happens when this occur?

* Re: question about tunneling
@ 2004-11-01 19:06   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-11-01 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, jas@extundo.com wrote:

> "Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> I have the following tunnel script for an IMAP server:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> ssh HOST imapd | tee /tmp/imap-run
>>
>> Two problems:
>>
>> 1) without the tee, the tunnel simply does not work.  I hope someone can tell
>> 	me why :)
>
> Maybe toggling imap-process-connection-type help?

It did not, unfortunately.

>> 2) occasionally I'll get a disconnect "garbage" message that Gnus
>>    doesn't know how to handle.  Maybe that's related to (1).
>
> Perhaps the parser is not robust when it come to non-IMAP protocol
> behavior.  What happens when this occur?

The IMAP server sends a disconnect message, but it's not in *Messages*
- only in the minibuffer, and gets dismissed as soon as I do anything.

@ 2004-11-01 19:44     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-11-01 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 1 Nov 2004, tzz@lifelogs.com wrote:

> The IMAP server sends a disconnect message, but it's not in *Messages*
> - only in the minibuffer, and gets dismissed as soon as I do anything.

OK, finally I caught the message :)

Garbage: ERR: DISCONNECTED, user=lifelogs, ip=[127.0.0.1], headers=36318, body=72595, time=2461
* BYE Disconnected for inactivity.

(Courier IMAP)

@ 2004-11-01 22:03       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-11-01 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On 1 Nov 2004, tzz@lifelogs.com wrote:
>
>> The IMAP server sends a disconnect message, but it's not in *Messages*
>> - only in the minibuffer, and gets dismissed as soon as I do anything.
>
> OK, finally I caught the message :)
>
> Garbage: ERR: DISCONNECTED, user=lifelogs, ip=[127.0.0.1], headers=36318, body=72595, time=2461
> * BYE Disconnected for inactivity.
>
> (Courier IMAP)

It looks like this come from the other end.  I think the error message
is correct, then, since it is garbage.  Perhaps you could replace tee
with 'grep -v ^ERR:.DISCONNECTED' or something.  There isn't any other
problem, except for the Garbage: echo area text, right?

* Re: question about tunneling
@ 2004-11-05 16:19         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-11-05 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004, jas@extundo.com wrote:

> "Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> Garbage: ERR: DISCONNECTED, user=lifelogs, ip=[127.0.0.1], headers=36318,
>> 	body=72595, time=2461
>> * BYE Disconnected for inactivity.
>>
>> (Courier IMAP)
>
> It looks like this come from the other end.  I think the error message
> is correct, then, since it is garbage.  Perhaps you could replace tee
> with 'grep -v ^ERR:.DISCONNECTED' or something.  There isn't any other
> problem, except for the Garbage: echo area text, right?

No, no problem at all, I was just hoping this could be parsed as the
timeout disconnect message of Courier IMAP.  It doesn't bother me.

@ 2004-11-05 23:16           ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-11-05 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Mon, 01 Nov 2004, jas@extundo.com wrote:
>
>> "Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>>> Garbage: ERR: DISCONNECTED, user=lifelogs, ip=[127.0.0.1], headers=36318,
>>> 	body=72595, time=2461
>>> * BYE Disconnected for inactivity.
>>>
>>> (Courier IMAP)
>>
>> It looks like this come from the other end.  I think the error message
>> is correct, then, since it is garbage.  Perhaps you could replace tee
>> with 'grep -v ^ERR:.DISCONNECTED' or something.  There isn't any other
>> problem, except for the Garbage: echo area text, right?
>
> No, no problem at all, I was just hoping this could be parsed as the
> timeout disconnect message of Courier IMAP.  It doesn't bother me.

Hm.  I'm not sure it would be a good idea to start adding parsing of
non-IMAP protocol to imap.el.  Perhaps adding a hook to handle
non-IMAP data would be a cleaner approach, then nnimap, or some other
add-on package, could use that hook to recognize the above string and
do something useful.